This is a new facility in the Vis Comms area.
Students can use this workshop to dye samples of fabric, paper etc with natural plant dyes and to make ink and paint from plants and extracts.
We have the following equipment:
- 2 large stainless steel dye pots
- electric hot rings
- various buckets, sieves and spoons for the dye process
- sieves for straining the plant material out
- protective clothing: rubber gloves, goggles, masks and aprons
- splash mats to protect the worktops
Access is by induction. Please contact Helen, Room 216, Grand Parade, or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
In 2023/24, dye lab inductions will run on the last Friday afternoon of each month. Students from Viscomm can book a place using this Eventbrite link.
- Collecting Plants/Suppliers
- Foragers Guide to Collecting Local Colour
- List of Plants and Colours
- Cultivating Dye Plants at Grand Parade
- Solar Dyeing
- Dye Method 1 : No Mordant Required
- Dye Method 2: Mordants
- Tips for Dyeing Paper
- Ink Recipe: Evaporation Method
- Ink Recipe: Soda Ash Method
- Pigment making
- Pigment to Paint
- Screen printing
- Ferrous Sulphate