School of Business and Law

Inspiring journeys to work

Angela with course leader Liz Hawkins

Marketing grad joins NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme

Angela studied on our Marketing Management BSc(Hons) degree, and has recently started a graduate role at the NHS.

In her first year, Angela will work as a Patient Safety and Governance Coordinator and in her second year as a Digital Business Graduate.

What role did you apply for?

I applied to the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme (GMTS) Health Informatics specialism.

As a health informatics trainee I’ll be working with a team to improve patient care, utilising intelligence and reports to find answers to big, important issues. I will be using digital technologies and data to effectively deliver patient care, both now and in the future. While looking closely at artificial intelligence (AI) and how data can be applied to improve the digital systems of the NHS.

What made you want to apply for the NHS graduate scheme?

I’ve always been interested in scientific breakthroughs in health and longevity, and wanted to work for a company within the health sector. While completing the Innovation in Marketing module during my final year, I chose to focus my project on developing a marketing innovation for the NHS, inspiring me to consider what I could potentially do if I worked for the NHS. Further research led me to discover they offered a management scheme within four unique specialisms.

I was particularly drawn to the level of responsibility given on the Graduate Management Training Scheme (GMTS) and the breadth of development opportunities available. GMTS provides a range of opportunities to work across the organisation, and your work will be directly impacting the NHS and its patients from day one.

Over the two-year period the scheme invests in your personal development, in my case funding a diploma in Health Informatics while working so I can continue to develop my skills. While at the same time putting you in projects which develop your management skills, placing you in a good position to progress your career on completion of the scheme.

Where did you find the role advertised?

I was looking through The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers. I bought the book (published annually) and saw that the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme was ranked second place in 2022. I applied directly through the NHS website in November 2022, when the scheme opened to applicants.

How has your course prepared you to get this role?

One of the fantastic things about the Marketing Management degree is that across the modules you are given the option to select companies of interest on which to base your projects on.  The innovation in marketing module itself was a strong driving force behind my initial application, inspiring me to apply. The increased awareness of what was going on in the company, based on the research conducted for this project, helped me come across as knowledgeable, while showing my passion/interests in the interview.

The Big Data module, an optional module undertaken in the third year, also increased my experience across a range of statistical software programs and demystifying big data, which ultimately gave me the confidence to apply for this specialism.

I also think on reflection, the marketing plans produced throughout this degree have made me more aware of how larger business operate and some of the challenges they face, better preparing me for work within one of the world’s largest employers.

What would you say to another student who’s considering studying at the University of Brighton?

Don’t hesitate, Brighton has a range of lecturers that are strongly passionate about what they teach. The facilities are great and classes are engaging.

The University of Brighton offers degree courses that provide a great mix between practical first-hand experience (which employers love) and theoretical knowledge, leaving you with a great combination of experiences to discuss at interviews. Choosing the University of Brighton was one of the best decisions I ever made.

AIanalyticsartificial intelligenceassessmentscase studiesclient projectsdataDigital Business Graduategrad rolegraduateMarketingmarketing degreeMarketing Management BScNHSNHS grad schemeNHS Graduate Management Training SchemePatient Safety and Governance Coordinatorpersonal developmentpractical experienceTimes Top 100 Graduate EmployersTraining

Zoe Cassell • November 28, 2023