Week 6 – 18/03/19

This week I chose to revisit the idea of female friendship I was told to explore further in week 1’s lecture. After thinking for a while in how I could explore this theme deeper after experimenting with it in week 2, I came to the conclusion that by photographing my best friend in a place we share the most memories would be successful for achieving the theme, sense of place.

Growing up in Worthing, a small town on the south coast of England, I have become used to enjoying the beach and the countryside in my spare time. Being my favourite places as well as my home, a sense of place is embedded in my images taken in the countryside for they are what I associate home with. 

WAITING FOR LORELEI: OLIVIA ARTHUR AND FAMILY AT HOME – RESEARCH – 
Pushing aside the idea of female friendship, I wanted to research more into my love for black and white images. Through magnum photos and the brief mention of photographer Olivia Arthur in lectures, I looked into her pregnancy shoot and her ability to use black and white to portray positive emotions, for this type of imagery is known to take any happy emotion away, commonly associated with making images timeless.
Through her photos we are able to feel the sense of anticipation for their new arrival, the candid images represent the waiting, and the structured represent growth and time passing. In a way, the black and white make them more raw, giving the viewer the ability to connect with them.
The shadows and reflections bring out the amateur photographer elements of Arthurs photos, something I want to embed into my own images.

SHOOT 1 – WEEK 2 

MEMORABLE PLACES – FEMALE FRIENDSHIP

Comment on this post