Week 5 – 11/03/19

If I am to be honest, photography to me has always been a hobby, I have never had the thought to study it. Which is why by week 5, I was beginning to feel frustrated with the work I was producing, mainly that I was not achieving the style I am able to achieve on my phone, because I was put in a position where using specific equipment like DSLR’s was being taught to me.  

After a long discussion with my lecturer it was established that for my final portfolio, if results are achieved well on my phone, she would be happy for me to use this device rather than a digital camera. Growing up in a not-so-well off family compared to the rest of my peers, it was not possible for me to own the kit I was being taught on since sixth form through to now, meaning I had a lot less experience with certain ways of shooting photos. This meant I had to adapt and got used to using my phone camera. I would like to add I would not change the upbringing I am having, it has taught me that in order to get what you want in life, you have to work really hard for it. 

Growing up with the desire to be apart of the creative industry is something I knew, and still will be, challenging due to my circumstances. I received my first camera from my dad when I was 14, the best camera he could find for the price he could afford and I was over the moon. When I was 18, my aunt gave me her old camera she no longer used, and again I was ecstatic about it and made good use with what I was kindly given, but because of the age of the model, it no longer produced great quality images and did not do what my course required it to do. 

For these reasons, I have grown not only comfortable with photography, but developed my own style, with my phone camera. It may not be like the rest of my peers, or in any way professional, but I believe my photos have an element of authenticity, and a clear passion for what I love shines through them. As my dad has always told me, “you don’t need to have the best, to be the best”. 

SHOOT 1 – ART SCHOOL

With the brief “art school”, we were asked to explore the Grand Parade campus and capture images that represented to ourselves what art school is. Places are really what you make of them, to me, art school is a place where people go to express a part of themselves they can’t put into words. I spoke to a fine art student in one of the studio spaces who showed me around and offered to do future collaborations, which really emphasises that art school, as well as any other creative areas, is all about who you meet, not what you know. These were taken on a DSLR I hired from the university. 

Comment on this post