ARVIDA BYSTROM

Arvida is a feminist photographer / model with much similar qualities to Petra Collins; aesthetic, concept, colour scheme. The photographer understands the ins and outs of feminism and the affects the male gaze, especially in contemporary traditions, has on growing teens. She reflects on matters such as puberty, womanhood and beauty so i feel that conceptually, her work fits in with this theme and is another great starting point for me. Arvida focusing on female issues like these relates to my idea of how women construct their beauty because she pulls apart every aspect of womenhood and photographs it in such unusual ways. For example, the left bottom image is meant to portray puberty and periods, but instead of very obviously visualizing this, she has used a crushed piece of fruit which to me showcases maybe an image of the pain from a menstrual cycle or insides of a uterus! I also am interested in the top right image, where she has used string to separate fragments of her face. This could be showing links to cosmetic surgery or ideas on breaking up her face and beauty – then it becomes what is beauty? I obviously want the styling and direction of the shoot to be a main focus of my work so using formats similar to this probably wont get my point across as well, however it was interesting to see how she photographs elements within feminism using supporting aesthetics such as careful play on colour schemes or photography style.