DMSA Feature: PJ Davy

PJ Davy’s ‘Heads In The Cloud 2.0’ opens tomorrow at The Basement in Brighton as part of the Exploring Boundaries exhibition, Brighton Digital Festival. We briefly talk to PJ about his background, his creative vision and projects his is currently working on.

DMSA: Where do we find you now?

PD: I recently moved to London where I’ll be starting a new role as a Production Technician Intern at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance. I’ll be helping the production team provide sound and lighting for contemporary dance, orchestras, and operas. I’m looking forward to getting stuck into London, for a while. I miss the sea and fresh air, already, though.

DMSA: Three important words that represent you as a creative person

PD: Always be yourself.

DMSA: When did you start working with sound and music?

PD: I started working with sound and music, electronically, when I was 14 years old. A friend introduced me to Fasttracker 2, and I was hooked. It’s interface looked like the Matrix. You had to program in volume, panning, and other effects by sequencing numbers that scrolled up or down the screen. It forced some pretty nifty creativity within its limitations, but that’s always where the good stuff comes from.

DMSA: In what ways has the DMSA course supported or helped you to develop into who you are today creatively and professionally?

PD: DMSA opened up my eyes and ears to areas of sound and music I’d not yet explored. It broadened my horizons and opportunities to work with amazing artists I never thought I’d be working with, in worlds I’d never associated myself with. It challenged me to focus my time and effort into projects in a professional way, but always with experimentalism at its heart, and never in a direction that felt forced upon me. I feel like the course has developed my creativity to push my own work within the global art and music community.

DMSA: Other plans for the future? projects, events, visions?

PD: I’ll be with Trinity Laban until next September, so I’m currently looking for a masters program to continue studying in 2019. I have some projects I’m currently working on that I’m really proud of, something very personal, and some others I look forward to being able to share, nearer completion. On the 4/5/6th of October, I’ll be exhibiting my multichannel sound and light installation, Heads in The Cloud 2.0, for Exploring Boundaries at The Basement, in Brighton, at part of Brighton Digital Festival 2018. This second iteration of my installation will focus more on the traces of memories left behind once time has passed since originally posted. It’s easy to forget what of ourselves we’ve submitted onto the world wide web, but we leave behind our ghosts in the machine, possibly forever.

I aim to remain focused, be productive, and keep learning.

Heads In The Cloud 2.0 opens tomorrow and will be running till Saturday 6th.

PJ’s website: www.pjedavy.com