artwork by nuria Garcia Vazquez

Graduates 2020: Nuria Garcia Vazquez: MArch

“My work this year was inspired by a hypothetical anarchist approach to building, which resulted in an architectural language of satire towards planning laws.” 

Hi Nuria, please tell us a bit about your work, your influences etc

“My work this year was inspired by a hypothetical anarchist approach to building, which resulted in an architectural language of satire towards planning laws. New rooftop extensions take over the town of Rye in the shape of that which you would see in their absence (natural objects such as clouds and trees), building of which is driven by the local citizens who do this collectively without any government intervention.

“It starts with housing, but the population increase this brings makes the locals also develop different public spaces. When it comes to influences, as much as there are specific architectural precedents that I might naturally gravitate towards, I try to constantly venture into other styles or even type of media when developing designs. With this extensions, for example, the satirical element behind them made me draw inspiration from different graphic design or even cartoon depictions.”

“It was very pleasant to work with a smaller cohort, as I found it was easier to communicate and share work, although this still gave for a very varied collection of approaches to our different briefs. I especially enjoyed the freedom we were given in our approach not only to design overall but with the representation of the same which allowed me to use a very particular drawing style which complimented the narrative of the project.”

“Now that I have spent the last two years developing my design skills further (through university and part time work in practice), I look forward to continue cultivating this new improved perspective on architecture in a more design based studio..”

See Nuria’s work in the End of Year Show.

Find out about studying MArch.