School of Business and Law

Inspiring journeys to work

Georgia's work placement year

Georgia’s placement year

International Events Management student GeorgiaGeorgia Byrne is studying International Event Management BA(Hons) with us and decided to take the optional year in industry after the second year of her course. Georgia is working at St Wilfrid’s Hospice and we caught up with her to find out more about her placement and her course to date:

“I chose to study event management as I love attending events and grew an interest into what goes on behind the scenes and how they are organised. I wanted to learn more about the industry and wanted to understand how events come together and the hours of planning which goes into them.

“I chose the University of Brighton as when I attended my open day, the introduction to the course sounded great with options of different pathways.

“I have enjoyed so many aspects of the course, including guest speakers/companies coming into lectures to talk about their event experience. I also thoroughly enjoyed the chance of organising and putting on an event in my first and second year.

“My lecturers have enhanced my knowledge since the start of my degree, and have been very helpful and supportive in tutorials, and with the feedback given from the marking of assessments.

St Wilfrids Firewalk“I chose the placement year as I wanted to gain real life experience and to put the theory and skills I had learnt from my first two years at university into everyday practice. I also wanted to expand my CV and make my chances of employment after university more likely from the experience I had gained.

“I have already gained invaluable knowledge from my first five months on placement which I believe I wouldn’t have if I had chosen to study for just the three years. I have been put in charge of the St Wilfrid’s firewalk which Is an annual event taking place in March. It’s really exciting and a great experience.

“I have also been promoting their events, services and programmes at awareness days in its large catchment area, booking companies and entertainment for events, taking cash, cheque and card donations from supporters, registering people for events, helping with the set up and shut down at events, and liaising with a graphic designer to design marketing materials.

Georgia's work placement year“Taking a placement year has widened my knowledge, enabled me to gain invaluable experience that I can apply to my final year of study and in the future after graduating and working in the events industry. I believe I have grown professionally and personally, noticing an improved difference in my interpersonal skills from interacting and communicating with local supporters of the hospice, businesses, colleagues and members of the public.”

We wish you every success with the rest of your placement and your course Georgia. If you’d like to find out more about St Wilfrid’s 2019 firewalk please visit: St Wilfrid’s Firewalk

St Wilfrid's memory tree at Christmas

Lisa Wood • March 29, 2019