Brighton Student bloggers

Read student blogs about student life and the Brighton university experience

Beth self portrait

Why is Fashion History so important?

Fashion and Design History is everywhere

I’ve always had a really keen interest in fashion history; be that in literature, its portrayal in costume dramas, or just always keeping an eye out for exhibitions on the subject. During a gap year, I started to consider whether university could be for me; and found the course offered at Brighton by googling it! It seemed the closest match to my interests and so I applied; and very quickly I was invited to an applicant event. This event gave a really helpful insight into what study would be like; and was also an opportunity for me to ask any questions I had.

University is quite different to school

The different types of learning like lectures, seminars and tutorials may require you to do both preparation beforehand and work to develop after. The big plus to this means that often you can choose where you take your research – you get a choice of readings and you dictate assessment topics yourself. You can learn about things that really interest you; and this enthusiasm tends to shine through in your work!

Work experience and professional development at university

In second year I completed a 30-hour online placement with Mass Observation Archive. It was such a wonderful opportunity to gain insight into how an archive works; and to gain experience and skills that will be useful when I am applying for roles in the future.

I also completed a Professional Practice module that helped us to think about transferable skills, complete research into the fields we would like to work in, as well as helping us explore opportunities like graduate schemes and postgraduate study. Brighton students retain access to the careers service after they graduate – so there is support from the university far longer than when you’re studying!

Follow your passion and study something you love

Through my time in Brighton I’ve learnt that there are lots of opportunities out there, and not to rule things out just because it’s something I haven’t done before. The way the course is run means that I’ve been able to research things that interest me, meaning my study has been shaped around the subjects that I love.

Student looking at their phone

Word from the uni…

Interested in this course? Read the full course description Fashion and Design History BA(Hons).

Interested in this subject? Here’s more history of art and design degrees.

applicationsFashion and Design HistoryHistory of art and design degreesindependent livingPreparing for universitySchool of art and media

Beth Mcphun • 1st June 2022