RSS Feed

#jiscel10 JISC -Have a Go- videoconferencing in the workplace – Countdown 12 days-

November 4, 2010 by Robin Englebright   

My background is Agriculture, which lends itself very well to work based learning, in fact in my sandwich year I worked for ICI doing fertiliser research in the flatlands of Grantham, if you look on Googlemaps you can still see the patchwork pattern even though the site hasn’t been used in around 20 years?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&msid=113330115542932353481.00049436de53ecd45f90e&ll=52.912512,-0.550346&spn=0.003054,0.010568&output=embed
View ICI Ropsley Research station in a larger map

Whilst I remember a lot of things from that time, the isolation I felt would probably be pretty high up the list. I was 178 miles from home, and it felt like I’d lost touch with all my friends and fellow students.

This isn’t an uncommon experience, and whilst these days the wide array of communications technology helps the student who is out in the workplace feel connected to their friends, they may feel less connected to their studies.

The  session in the Have a Go area on delivery to remote learners offers access to an edited recording of work carried out using Adobe Connect Pro videoconferencing software. The recordings demonstrate how they used the technology to deliver material to geographically remote learners. 
An edited recording of a meeting is available from the 16th for conference delegates to view. From 08:00 on Tuesday, 23rd November, delegates will be able to connect to a meeting room to manipulate the tools and interact with each other.

The Conference runs from the 23rd – 26th November 2010, BUT the pre-conference activity and reading week opens on 16th November 2010 and offers a chance to become familiar with the conference environment and try out innovative JISC projects in the ‘have-a-go’ area. 
See you there!

Book online – early registration advisable for full participation in the pre-conference week

www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/programmes/elearningpedagogy/elpconference10/booking 
Delegate fee:£50

»