Instagram: @tamarakluver

Painting
‘Holiday in the Empire of the Sick’ (2020)

Painting
‘The Holy Lovers’, (2020)

Painting
‘I am purity, they call me perverted’, (2020)

Being born in a third world country and then living around the world for most of your life can alienate you and inhibit a sense of belonging. However, my mixed heritage gave me an opportunity to combine my background and influences. Catholic Latin American culture, particularly from Peru, is a cause of many internal conflicts of the second half of the 20th century. By using my fascination with the countercultural movement of the 1960s and 1970s and its imagery to represent the frozen state of time in Peru, I address a political subject matter from a feminine and mixed heritage point of view – the state of sexuality and sexual morality. The United States and Latin America were widely different throughout the second half of the 20th century. Through the use of acrylics, photographs of modern day subjects and myself, and found objects, I collage these cultures together. Love, rape, purity and perversion are explicitly merged to reflect human nature and subert conservative Christian traditionalism.