Brighton Student bloggers

Read student blogs about student life and the Brighton university experience

Claudia Gardner

What I loved about studying Quantity Surveying

I’m interested in environmentally friendly building

Construction has long been one of my interests and I have devoured programmes like Grand Designs since I was teenager. I am very interested in new ideas regarding house building that are environmentally friendly. So, when I discovered Quantity Surveying I was excited that I would be part of the construction industry.

Moulsecoomb building siteMoulsecoomb campus

You will learn across different areas of construction

In my first year we studied the same modules as students on different courses such Architectural Technology, Building Surveying and Project Management for Construction. I think it is brilliant that we all start with the same base knowledge and get to learn a little about different fields of construction. I loved the variety between modules, each of them felt like they use a different set of skills. We work on four different modules simultaneously and have a mix of coursework, exams and assessments. The work feels well-spaced, and deadlines for coursework are set well in advance.

Refine your skills at university

A highlight for me was the Building Design and Technology module – we initially learnt how to draw floor plans and then progressed to designing a home in the second semester. I struggled at first with drawing as I don’t feel it is naturally my strong point, but actually it was just a case of a little practice and the lecturer was very supportive. I also really enjoyed the Indoor Environment module as it feels so applicable to everyday life, I have learnt so much about the workings of my home – I feel like it is something everyone should know!

There is such supportive staff at Brighton

The university is very supportive. We are each assigned a Personal Academic Tutor who checks in with you on regular intervals, they are a great source of knowledge and can help when you are having difficulties. All the lecturers have been brilliant too. I have two young children and sometimes there is screaming in the background when I am trying to talk during an online lecture, they always smile and make me feel at ease about the situation.

Student looking at their phone

Word from the uni…

Interested in this course? Read the full course description Quantity Surveying BSc(Hons).

Interested in this subject? Here’s more construction and building degrees.

applicationsArchitecture technology and engineeringbrighton Quantity SurveyingPreparing for universityQuantity Surveyingremote learning

Claudia Gardner • 30th April 2022