Supporting Engaging Environments Student Research Experience Placement

by Sophie Davies

Between early June and mid-July 2024, I completed a 100-hour research placement with David Haines, Audrey Yong and Amanda Knowles. This was part of the University of Brighton’s Student Research Experience Scheme, which aims to provide hands-on research experience to undergraduate or taught postgraduate students on projects across the University. Funded by Santander Universities and the Enhancing Research Culture Fund, the scheme allows students to contribute to real research projects alongside academic staff, during their studies.

During my internship, I had the opportunity to explore and contribute to occupational therapy research projects including "Supporting Engaging Environments (SEE)” and “The Occupational Therapy Contribution to Good Home Environment Design”. This internship allowed me to enhance my research skills, interact with researchers and professionals in the occupational therapy field, and partake in academic events.

One of the core tasks of my internship was the opportunity to conduct interviews with practising occupational therapists. These interviews aimed to gather qualitative data on their professional experiences using the prototype SEE tool and to obtain valuable feedback. Preparing for and conducting these interviews pushed me to improve my communication skills and develop insightful, open-ended questions. Through these conversations, I gained a deeper understanding of the practical use of the SEE tool and was able to relay important feedback which will be used to develop the tool further.

Another key task I undertook was analysing transcripts from interviews with occupational therapists. This process required careful attention to detail as I conducted thematic analyses using NVivo, identifying recurring themes and patterns within the data. This task not only improved my analytical skills but also provided me with deeper insights into the experiences and challenges faced by both patients and therapists in the occupational therapy field. The analysis contributed to a broader research project to improve patient housing opportunities and outcomes. Additionally, this task allowed me to become confident in using NVivo, a tool I will continue to use in my studies, particularly in the dissertation in the third year of my BSc Psychology course.

I also assisted in facilitating a School of Sport and Health Sciences PhD Symposium event. This event brought together PhD students from across the school to share their progress on their doctoral research projects, discuss their findings, and network. My role included managing attendee registrations, taking photographs, and ensuring the smooth operation of the event. This experience not only allowed me to witness the forefront of academic research but also taught me the importance of collaboration within the academic community.

Overall, my research internship was a very interesting experience. It provided me with a comprehensive understanding of the research process, from data collection and analysis to practical application. The skills I developed—analytical thinking, qualitative research, and effective communication—are invaluable skills I will carry forward in my academic and professional career.

This internship not only solidified my interest in the field of research but also inspired me to pursue further research opportunities. I am immensely grateful for the guidance and support from David, Audrey, Amanda, and Wendy for the chance to contribute to such meaningful projects. This experience has undoubtedly laid a strong foundation for my future in research.