Alex Moore sitting in cafe smiling at the camera

Computing project exhibition 2024: Alex Moore, Computer Science for Games

“The lecturers are great, all are passionate about their subjects and are easy to talk to. A key moment in my course was getting my final year project’s dynamic difficulty adjustments to work. I was aiming to create a game using procedural generation, with guidance from one of my lecturers, my idea was expanded to also create a system to change the difficulty of my game based on player performance.”

Tell us a bit about your project
I made a roguelike game using procedural generation and dynamic difficulty adjustments. When starting my project, I was aiming to create a game using procedural generation, a topic I am very interested in. However, with guidance from one of my lecturers, my idea was expanded to also create a system to change the difficulty of my game based on player performance.

When approaching the project, I initially researched papers on the topics and any surrounding areas, and planned out everything using Gantt charts and an agile approach. My supervisor and other lecturers provided ample support for the project offering advice or guidance throughout the process. Additionally, when testing my project I was able to use the university computer to test on other students on the course.

How have you found your course and your time at Brighton?
I like the fact that the course is the same as the digital game design course for the first year. So, if you are unsure of what area of games you want to pursue you can decide after a year and switch course. The course covers many areas of both computer science and game development leaving you with good knowledge of both areas.

The University of Brighton has been great with a diverse array of societies and good placement within Brighton makes it easy to get anywhere.

Why did you choose to study computing?
I decided to get into computing after winning a scratch competition in secondary school and knew I wanted to pursue it from there

What have been the highlights of your course?
The lecturers are great, all are passionate about their subjects and are easy to talk to and ask for guidance if needed. Some of my favourite modules have been multiplayer game development, integrated group project, and artificial intelligence for games. A key moment in my course was getting my final year project’s dynamic difficulty adjustments to work.

How has your course helped prepare you for your career, and what are your plans after graduation?
The modules cover a wide range of topics meaning I have experience in most areas which employers are looking for. After graduation, I am looking to work as a gameplay programmer at a game studio.

What advice would you give to someone thinking of studying computing at Brighton?
Stay on top of deadlines and work with your peers/lecturers.