A review of the top executional tactics used by retailers in email marketing

Previously today, I took the opportunity to read the academic article “Web advertising: The role of e-mail marketing” by Ellis-Chadwick & Doherty (2012) in The Journal of Business Research. The article endeavours to address a gap in the literature, regarding the different executional elements used in UK retailer’s email marketing. The aforementioned executional elements are analysed in the permission based emails of over 20 medium-large UK retailers over 18 months.

The executional tactics evident from the analysis conducted focus on the subject line, personalisation, length of email, brand logo and hyperlinks. This brought my attention to the marketing emails in my personal inbox with a view of identifying these executional elements.

One email I have opted-in to receiving emails from is Change.Org, a charitable organisation set up to promote petitions for various causes worldwide. One thing I have noticed in particular about the emails from this organisation is they are always from a named sender address, sent via chang.org. This means when I see the email in my inbox it always appears to be from a contact.

111

The particular example above shows an email from Yas Nacati. The sender address being from a name contrary to a company email address makes me more inclined to see the email as one from a contact or a person of importance, and therefore more likely to open the email.

Change.org also send informative to the point subject lines rather than, what I would consider, Marketing jargon. There are no teasing statements, alliteration, or incentive based subject lines as demonstrated in another email I receive below from the clothing company missguided. In some cases, the subject line of change.org emails contain personalisation by name too.

222

I tend to use my mobile device as a screening tool for email, scanning through the list and deciding which emails are important for later. At first glance, based on the type of subject line and sender address used, I always open the change.org emails, assuming they could be something of importance to me. So personally, I find this technique rather effective (perhaps maybe slightly deceiving).

Upon opening the email, initially we can see the bold logo in red, and large call to action button also in this brand colour.  This immediately makes it obvious to me as the reader who the email is from.

The font design chosen isn’t the clearest but is perhaps appropriate to the theme in the email. The italic format relates significantly more to that of handwriting or a quotation, and as this email is sent on behalf of a representative, this seems suitable.

333

Hyperlinks are clear and evident in more than one place. There is an in-text call to action, image, and the red button call to action which all lead to the same landing page to sign the petition. The brand logo also takes the recipient to the homepage of the website. Therefore the customer journey is straight forward and simplistic.

Personalisation has been used in the

22 thoughts on “A review of the top executional tactics used by retailers in email marketing

1. hi!,I love your writing so much! proportion we be in contact extra about your article on AOL? I require an expert on this space to resolve my problem. May be that’s you! Having a look forward to see you. jun88.limited

2. Bonsoir à vous Vous ne croyez pas que les arguments de votre post ont besoin de nouvelles valeurs… Votre démarche semble bonne quoique je ne comprends pas les différents avis ci dessus. Pensez a rajouter d’autres affirmations pour plus de professionalisme! Au plaisir de vous relire Đăng ký 123B

3. Outstanding read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little investigation on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! nhà cái uy tin 789

4. KANTOR BOLA adalah Situs Taruhan Bola untuk JUDI BOLA dengan kelengkapan permainan Taruhan Bola Online diantaranya Sbobet, M88, Ubobet, Cmd, Oriental Gaming dan masih banyak lagi Judi Bola Online lainnya. Dapatkan promo bonus deposit harian 25% dan bonus rollingan hingga 1% . Temukan juga kami dilink kantorbola77 , kantorbola88 dan kantorbola99 . kantor bola

5. I was suggested this blog via my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else realize such particular about my trouble. You are incredible! Thank you! boat nirvana 525 anc

6. I absolutely love your blog and find most of your post’s to be just what I’m looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content in your case? I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome site! driveway cleaning bristol

7. great post, very informative. I’m wondering why the other experts of this sector do not notice this. You must proceed your writing. I am confident, you have a huge readers’ base already! bayern münchen

8. That being said by use it all, planet is really restored a little more. This situation in addition will this particular Skin tightening and starting to be moved and into the mood of these producing activities. daily deal livingsocial discount baltimore washington เกมสล็อต

9. After examine a couple of of the weblog posts on your web site now, and I really like your manner of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website record and will probably be checking back soon. Pls take a look at my web page as well and let me know what you think. sbobet mobile

10. That appears to be certainly great. Most of these teeny specifics are designed having great deal of track record expertise. I’m keen on the item lots reparation pc

11. This amazing hearings completely acceptable. Most of simple facts are ready through great number connected with practical knowledge realistic expertise. Now i am confident the item all over again completely. depannage informatique paris