Has Spam Spoiled Email Marketing?

A quick glance into my ‘Junk’ mail folder and I can see countless examples of unsolicited emails. These are emails with the sole purpose of persuading me to click a link, a link that could potentially send my laptop into the oblivion and my personal details to some unusually quiet, highly intelligent person in a dark room looking to push me closer to my student overdraft limit. Scary, I know. But scariest of all is how clever these emails are getting. Let me give you an example:

Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 18.43.39

Source: Compiled by author (2015)

Above is a seemingly innocent email from Facebook, trying to entice me to view some notifications. BUT…it isn’t from Facebook at all! If it was not for my unhealthy addiction to Facebook and sharp attention to detail, I would have willingly followed this link to learn what my friend had to say. The branding is identical to Facebook’s, the sender-address had been titled ‘Facebook+Support’, they’ve even personalised the email with my name (nice touch) and added a link to unsubscribe.

Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 18.44.50

Source: Compiled by author (2015)

When compared with a genuine Facebook email (above) we can see clear differences. To begin with the genuine email contains information, which is specific to my account. This level of detail is something a scammer wouldn’t be able to reproduce on a mass-sending basis without access to Facebook’s data. The phishing email contains a grammatical errors and the subject line “Sophie K 1 messages waiting to be read freezers” makes no sense. Further, although the scammer has attempted to use personalisation, they have evidently extracted my name from my email address “Sophie_K” which doesn’t look professional enough to be convincing. The genuine email is addressed from Facebook, lists the address of the HQ at the bottom and has perfect spelling and grammar throughout.

Pavlov, Melville & Plice (2008) suggest that the rise in unsolicited email means that email marketing is becoming less effective and more costly for a business. With the vast amount of emails landing in the average users inbox, and 15% of this being spam (Radcati Group, 2015) it’s understandable that recipients would be more cautious.

However, with email generating nearly two times the return on investment relative to other marketing communication channels (The Direct Marketing Association, 2012), perhaps email isn’t becoming less effective as a tool, perhaps it’s how firms use it that’s becoming less effective?

Micheaux (2011) suggests that email response rates for firms are decreasing due to them sending low-cost mass-sent emails as oppose to sending targeted emails with thorough testing. Yes we can see spam is getting more intelligent, but so is email marketing as a tool. Firms need to learn to utilise data to target content tailored to specific segments and personalise effectively rather than bombarding everyone with every message, even if it’s irrelevant. It is imperative that firms are strategic when using email as a marketing communication tool to reach the distinct audiences with relevant content (Acquino, 2012). Email platforms should be used to test the email rigorously If we refer back to my Facebook example, I didn’t ignore the genuine email because I had received spam in the past; I followed the link and read the comment on my profile, but it made me more cautious and therefore more aware of the properties to look out for in a spam email.

So in summary email marketing isn’t less effective due to spam, it just takes more thought and attention to detail than it used to. There are many platforms available to ensure your emails are well tested and targeted.

So how do you avoid producing an email that looks like spam?

• Avoid grammatical errors – Often spammers don’t care about the content of the email enough for it to make sense, so ensure your email has perfect detail.
  • Test the email – Ensure the email displays right, not doing so could compromise your branding and make the recipient question the authenticity of the email.
  • Domain name – Create a professional and appropriate domain name to send your emails from. Anyone can access a free email service (and spammers often do).
  • Don’t ask for personal information – Being too pushy in an email can set the customers’ alarm bells ringing.
  • Messy hyperlinks – Long hyperlinks, unformatted and pasted in an email looks suspect. Create a simple email template with a bold call-to-action button that is hyperlinked.
  • Personalise effectively – Only personalise if you trust your data is correct and of a good standard. Any attempts at personalisation in which the name is wrong or only the first initial comes up could make the recipient question whether you know who you’re sending the email to, or if it’s just another mass sent phishing scam.
  • Demonstrate your relationship with the recipient – Send emails that are relevant to the recipient and give enough information to demonstrate you know the consumer and what they want, content personalisation can facilitate this, and generate the company better returns at the same time.
  • Get permission – Don’t send emails unless you have permission to send them, not only are there laws surrounding this but the recipient will soon mark your email as junk if it’s not relevant or they don’t recognise it.

Read more:

• For an insight into how you can avoid spam filters, view Mail Chimps Top tips.
  • For more tips on how to avoid sending email marketing that looks like spam, check out this article on Comm100.

References:

Aquino, J. (2012). Avoid the Spam folder. CRM Magazine. Vol 16, Issue 9, pp24-28

Direct Marketing Association (2012) DMA National Client Email Report 2012. London: Direct Marketing Association

Mail Chimp (2015) Resources: How to avoid spam filters [Online] <http://bit.ly/1o9LJPP> [accessed 18th April 2015]

Micheaux, A.L. (2011) Managing E-mail Advertising Frequency From the Consumer Perspective. Journal of Advertising. Vol 40, Issue 4, pp45-65.

Pavlov, O.V., Melville, N. & Plice, R.K. (2007) Toward a sustainable e-mail marketing infrastructure. Journal of Business research. Vol 61, Issue 11, pp1191–1199

Radicati Group (2014) Email Statistics Report, 2014-2018. The Radicati Group inc. California

66 thoughts on “Has Spam Spoiled Email Marketing?

1. Wow, great stuff. I have been considering this for a few years. I’m glad to seemingly find someone that comes to the same conclusions as me. At least it seems that’s the case. I’ll keep visiting your site to stay informed. lingerie stores

2. This is the correct weblog for everyone who is would like to learn about this topic. You are aware of much its almost challenging to argue along with you (not that I personally would want…HaHa). You certainly put a different spin on a topic thats been revealed for several years. Fantastic stuff, just great! https://nhalen.com

3. I’m happy with exactly how you have dealth with this subject matter in such a exact method. I discovered your web-site although searching by means of Google and I’ll need to admit that I’ve subscribed to it already. Trang chủ Xo88

4. I really like people unique writing. Will probably be quality to uncover just one reveal with text on the center and in some cases purity in this particular unique vital area of interest will likely be conveniently encountered. jun88.limited

5. Hi there, You have performed a great job. I will certainly digg it and in my opinion recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site. https://vn58.uno/

6. Perhaps this is a bit off topic but in any case, I have been surfing about your blog and it looks really neat. impassioned about your writing. I am creating a new site and hard-pressed to make it appear great, and supply excellent articles. I have discovered a lot on your site and I watch forward to additional updates and will be back. Đăng ký 123B

7. This is an amazing blog; I was trying to figure out how to keep in contact with your blog until I find out a decent iphone app for reading wordpress blogs. I really wish you to have a good day and keep with the good work! https://sv66.media/

8. I’m happy with exactly how you have dealth with this subject matter in such a exact method. I discovered your web-site although searching by means of Google and I’ll need to admit that I’ve subscribed to it already. nhà cái uy tin 789

9. It’s similarly a fantastic write-up i usually certainly appreciated analyzing. It isn’t always day-to-day i usually create the chance to find out something. video sex

10. Hi there! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing! kèo trực tuyến

11. It’s similarly a fantastic write-up i usually certainly appreciated analyzing. It isn’t always day-to-day i usually create the chance to find out something. video sex

12. KANTOR BOLA adalah Situs Taruhan Bola untuk JUDI BOLA dengan kelengkapan permainan Taruhan Bola Online diantaranya Sbobet, M88, Ubobet, Cmd, Oriental Gaming dan masih banyak lagi Judi Bola Online lainnya. Dapatkan promo bonus deposit harian 25% dan bonus rollingan hingga 1% . Temukan juga kami dilink kantorbola77 , kantorbola88 dan kantorbola99 . kantor bola

13. I believe that avoiding prepared foods is the first step for you to lose weight. They may taste beneficial, but ready-made foods have very little nutritional value, making you feed on more in order to have enough vitality to get throughout the day. Should you be constantly having these foods, switching to whole grain products and other complex carbohydrates will assist you to have more strength while eating less. Thanks alot : ) for your blog post. roof cleaning portsmouth

14. It certainly possibly even a fairly good create which the reality is certainly cherished checking out. Not necessarily inevitably ordinary which include the choice to figure out an individual item. bengal kitten for sale

15. The the next time I read a weblog, I really hope which it doesnt disappoint me approximately this. Come on, man, It was my solution to read, but I actually thought youd have something fascinating to mention. All I hear is actually a handful of whining about something you could fix when you werent too busy interested in attention. master slot gacor

16. Tetapkan batas jumlah uang yang dapat Anda pertaruhkan dan patuhi aturan tersebut. Jangan tergoda untuk terus bermain bitbola jika Anda sudah mencapai batas tersebut.

17. Nice post. I find out something more challenging on diverse blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content using their company writers and rehearse a little at their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my small weblog no matter whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll provide a link on your web weblog. Thanks for sharing. sekolah dasar al jauharotunnaqiyyah

18. Rapid each of our internet site probably will without doubt come to be reputed using the majority of functioning a new web site people, for the thoughtful content pieces as well as assessment content./ görükle escort

19. My personal sis advised me personally about your internet site and exactly how excellent it truly is. She’s proper, I’m genuinely amazed using the composing and clever style. Seems like to me you’re merely itching the surface in terms of that which you might accomplish, nevertheless you’re off to a terrific start! roket228

20. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your article seem to be running off the screen in Chrome. I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know. The layout look great though! Hope you get the problem resolved soon. Thanks the best iptv provider in france

21. Whoa! that blog post was basically pretty favorable thank you. “Two paradoxes are better than one they may even suggest a solution.” by Edward Teller.. master slot gacor

22. 7M think spam can ruin your marketing activities. Because if there is too much spam, it will lose the trust of your customers

23. Sorry for the huge review, but I’m really loving the new Zune, and hope this, as well as the excellent reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it’s the right choice for you. Red Boost Reviews

24. The actual challenge to become is normally you can actually SOLE check out that level of your tax discount over the internet by looking at your RATES web-site. FitSpresso

25. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will certainly return. PhenQ

26. From all the blogs Ive understand lately, this one appears to be essentially the most moving C it gave me something to bear in mind. Herpesyl

27. A wedding ring is a symbolic and timeless expression of love and commitment, exchanged between partners during the wedding ceremony. Available in various styles and metals, it serves as a cherished symbol of unity and enduring partnership. 結婚對戒

28. Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I’m experiencing difficulty with ur rss . Don know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting equivalent rss problem? Anybody who is aware of kindly respond. Thnkx puravive

29. The majority of us don’t know how to start. Making it basic, you might be capability to ask all people nearest thing to you personally is most likely the best method to look for these types of condos in simply the subject associated with time and place. flowforce max reviews

30. Certain dissertation web sites over the internet courses currently have evidently unveiled while in the web-site. mp4moviez

31. After study several of the web sites for your web site now, i truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will also be checking back soon. Pls check out my website also and figure out if you agree. Emperors Vigor

32. ligaciputra alternatif link
    termasuk portal unggulan yang menghadirkan daftar 13 situs slot gacor online terpercaya di Indonesia. Dikenal sebagai yang nomor satu, Liga ciputra memastikan player merasakan pengalaman bermain yang aman dan adil. Situs-situs yang terdaftar menyuguhkan beragam mesin slot berkualitas tinggi yang sering memberikan kemenangan besar.

33. Zeus138 Login
    adalah situs judi online terpercaya yang menyediakan akses ke beragam provider slot terbaik. Di bawah ini, kami akan membahas 14 provider slot terpercaya yang tersedia di situs Zeus138.

34. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Denticore Usa

35. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can’t wait to read lots of your posts. Java Burn Official Website

36. Why It Must be Panama for Dental Surgery? The factors for obtaining your dental surgical procedure accomplished in Panama are numerous, like: Most of your training dental surgeons in Panama speak English Panama has exceptional arrangements for diagnosing, screening and providers. There is no shortage of USA-trained doctors It costs far less to have your surgery carried out in Panama than in US or any other Western nation US dollar can be utilized And above all, your postoperative care is complimented by a visit on the pure beaches and pure forests of Panama. Java burn Buy

37. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I’m pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. LuckyTown plus

38. My partner and i favour your overall write-up. It could be great to look at any person describe inside terms from the aerobic in addition to lucidity because of this essential problem could be swiftly noticed. reparation pc