July 2

Portfolio career

Every year (since they introduced this section) I submit a piece to Mslexia about my portfolio career. Sometimes a portfolio career is exhausting, especially when I have conflicting demands, but it ultimately is rewarding. It allows me to do work I love, work I get paid well for and make a difference. In an ideal world I could find one job that does all these things… but this is the next best thing.

My Portfolio Career 

Alongside my personal essay writing and zine making, I earn my main income through two jobs working in widening participation organisations. For those of you who may not have heard the term before, it’s the department in most universities and many colleges sometimes known as the outreach team or the engagement team. It’s the team that tries to make sure that folks who may have been traditionally excluded from further education have an opportunity to experience activities and/or learn skills that will help them feel like higher education is doable.  

I fell in love with this sector at a UCAS fair over a decade ago. When I met a lovely lady who spoke to me as I was trying to swipe lots of tote bags and stationery in a university foyer. I was there supporting my friend, but also I can’t resist pens and a tote. I just started chatting and, although I thought going to university may be fun, I was more impressed that the staff I met got me excited about the idea that I could encourage people like myself to get enthusiastic about education. 

So when I decided to apply to university five years later, I knew I wanted to get a job in widening participation when I completed my degree. I’ll complete my degree next year; I’m doing an Art Masters. My lecturer gave me a reflective journal assignment a few years ago and that’s how I started writing (and getting paid for writing).  

My life as a student feels rewarding. In that time I’ve achieved so much. I pay for Christmas presents for my family with vouchers I’ve won in student competitions (mostly creative writing and craft competitions) and earnt for taking part in surveys. While doing my Masters I’ve taken part in a short-term teacher placement, and recently started a distance learning course about psychogeography in a bid to help tackle the agoraphobia I developed after a bereavement and two terminal illness diagnoses in my family last year. 

And I often do temporary work for student events, so I have no end of free pens now. Score. 

2020

Posted July 2, 2022 by N¡na in category Uncategorized

About the Author

An alumna #brightonforever