MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT GOUACHE ILLUSTRATIONS

(AD138: FASHION ILLUSTRATION AND IMAGING – IDENTITY AND THE BODY)

Following my photoshoot, I decided to try some illustrations using inspiration from Laura Callaghan and Nhung Le’s works with Gouache paints.

The inspiration photograph:

I tried to incorporate the styles of Callaghan and Le’s work both with the painting and drawing styles. However, I am not 100% happy with the way this illustration turned out. The first thing that I am not sure about, was the order of painting and then using the black drawing pen (02) to outline. I did the outlining first, and then it just looked faded when I applied the paint. Also, I shouldn’t have used the paint to create texture, highlights and shadows as this doesn’t work as well, I feel, when you’re using exaggerated colours as it isn’t supposed to look realistic. Furthermore, I don’t like the way that you can see brush strokes within the sections of flat colour, for instance, LeAnn’s face (right). 

I think it was very important though that I have found out what mistakes I can make, and now i can learn from them and make sure that my next illustrations in this style are better. 

All photographs of my own work.