School of Business and Law

At the School of Business and Law, University of Brighton, we teach, research and consult across the full range of business, management and law disciplines.

Marketing student secures Media Planner role at OMD

We are thrilled to announce that Julia Swanson, a current Marketing MSc student, has landed an impressive role as a Media Planner at OMD, working specifically on the PepsiCo account. This achievement highlights the excellent opportunities available to our students and the impact of our academic programs on career development.

In her new role, Julia will be responsible for receiving briefs from clients and collaborating with her team to create innovative media campaigns that meet client needs across various advertising channels.

Julia discovered this fantastic opportunity by taking the initiative to seek out positions across the Omnicom group and credits the University of Brighton’s Career Services team for their invaluable support during her job application process. She mentioned, “I used the university’s Career Services team to check over my CV and got feedback on how to make it more appropriate for the UK job market.” As an international student, she found this guidance immensely helpful, saying, “It was incredibly valuable to get that insight before I started filling out applications.”

Reflecting on her studies so far, Julia stated that “I thought I had a good understanding of things going on within the industry, but the MSc program really opened my eyes to the changes happening all around.” This knowledge allowed her to formulate strong responses during her interview about why specific media channels are relevant to specific target audiences. Additionally, she noted that the program has helped her grow in confidence: “Having had several presentation assessments, my confidence grew tremendously, and I feel much more comfortable speaking in front of people in a professional way.”

Julia also shared some words of encouragement for anyone considering pursuing a Marketing MSc: “I’d say to do it! It will make you a more well-rounded professional once you enter the workforce, and it gives you that extra edge in terms of knowledge and confidence.”

We are incredibly proud of Julia and her accomplishments. Her achievement is a testament to her hard work and determination to excel in both the Marketing MSc program and in her career. As she embarks on this exciting new chapter at OMD, we can’t wait to see her development within the media industry.

Find out more about studying Marketing MSc at Brighton.

Julia Swanson in graduation gown.

Neysan Jones • October 18, 2024