Graduates 2023: Mai Aboassi: MA Fine Art

“Finding a class that encourages exploration while improving my organization and ability to pinpoint my area of expertise was essential.”

In my art, I explore the subconscious. I’m on a creative journey where I uncover buried worries and traumas, conducting some serious research and analysis as a catharsis. My artwork is like a window into my head, pulling from my personal experiences, childhood memories, and nightmares. I care about addressing my art in a way that helps create awareness about mental health. I tell stories that go beyond simply one person’s experiences. I aim to address universal themes and develop relationships with individuals going through similar problems.

Artists like Louise Bourgeois, Egon Schiele, and Gernot Wieland influence my work. They provide me with a broader viewpoint to explore my own creative interests. I am motivated by psychoanalytic theories of legends like Freud and Jung. The book “The Body Keeps the Score” also opened my eyes to how art can represent trauma.

I love experimenting with various materials. I work in drawing, textiles, sculpture, and photography. I combine them with obsessive attention to detail, creating a new artwork category.

Can you tell us a bit about your journey to you course and made you choose it?

I was excited to continue my study and start a new academic path after completing my studies at the Faculty of Fine Art in Egypt. I was thrilled about the possibility of learning about a different educational system in the UK. I spent two years looking into various universities in the UK to choose one that would support my goals.

Through my research, I discovered Brighton University, a recognized university famous for its outstanding art programs. I decided to enquire further into the specifics. I became more interested in the MA Fine Art program when I carefully examined the course modules and got the chance to visit the university.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Amy Cunningham, our course leader, to pursue more information, and she patiently answered all my questions. After that, I realized the MA Fine Art program at Brighton University was the best choice for me.

What were the highlights of the course for you?

The course allowed me to apply my artistic skills in a contemporary context. Additionally, it gave me the knowledge to put various concepts into practice and conduct professional and academic studies on them.

Finding a class that encourages exploration while improving my organization and ability to pinpoint my area of expertise was essential.

I understood my interest and art theme thanks to the course’s assistance in developing my artistic concept and method. Makes you a professional artist by enabling you to confidently discuss your work.

The course widens your options, providing various chances and supporting your future strategies and goals for activities and opportunities.

Was the location of your course in Brighton important?

The Location: it had a friendly atmosphere and positive vibes. As an intentional student living in London, being in Brighton allowed me to discover more galleries and art opportunities. Especially since London could be overwhelming.

What are your plans after graduation? What’s next for you?

I am planning to investigate PhD scholarship, ideally at the University of Brighton. I intend to enrol in a few online business courses to launch an online gallery where I may continue to practice my art while raising awareness for mental health.

What advice would you give to someone considering doing postgraduate study?

Approach the decision without overthinking but with thoughtful consideration. Take the time to carefully examine the course modules and schedule a visit to the university. Request an opportunity to converse with the tutors to gain valuable insights. Remember, the search process should be thorough and unhurried. Once you have chosen and gained admission, embrace this significant and temporary phase in your life, dedicating yourself to giving your best effort.

Find out more about MA Fine Art

Watch out for news about the MA Summer Show

Follow the Brighton Summer Shows on Instagram