Graduates 2022: Jordan Smith:Design for Digital Media:

“When people ask me what I do at University saying ‘Design for Digital Media’ doesn’t cut it. I describe it as ‘Graphic design with an art focus but also animation and so much more.”

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

I have many well-known influences such as Stefan Sagmeister, DeeKay Kwon, and Paula Scher. But the two main ones for me is my family member called Dan, and my old media teacher Emma Coleman.

Dan is a Creative Director who got me into design in the first place, I really looked up to him as a person when I was younger and after I showed an interest in what he did, he gave me the opportunity to go and work with him for a bit. This is what made me want to become a creative to work in the Creative Industry.

My old media teacher was the first teacher I truly respected at my 6th Form, while I was failing many of my more ‘linear’ subjects such as Business and Sociology. Media was my strong point and Emma encouraged me time after time to do something I enjoyed, and that I was good at. This made me feel more comfortable and reassured that I was going to be okay.

My work can’t really be pin pointed, and I think that’s amazing and as a result of studying DDM. I would describe myself as a Graphic Designer, Illustrator, and Animation wizard. My work aims to inspire thought, and present a modern approach to design with a futuristic outlook. If I had to sum-up my style, I would say luxury, clean, and professional.

For my Final Major I have created 5 illustration books based on the creative process.

How have you found your course and time at Brighton?

The lockdown and covid has really hindered my experience but hasn’t stopped me from getting to where I want to be. But this is the same for all third years right now.

Brighton as a place was perfect for me, the first time I visited the City and University in my head I said to myself ‘this is where I am going to University’, and nothing was going to stop that from happening.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study DDM?

I chose to study DDM because of its versatility, when people ask me what I do at University saying ‘Design for Digital Media’ doesn’t cut it. I describe it as ‘Graphic design with an art focus but also animation and so much more’. I love it. It has a real focus around broadening students’ capabilities, whereas I think a Graphic Design course really channels you towards one style and sticking to that.

Working alongside peers who are Game Artists, Animators etc, is such a great experience and we all bounce ideas off each other amazingly. I help Games Designers with layout and graphic elements while they help me constructing narrative.

Working alongside animators is also amazing and gives a real insight into industry as to what is and isn’t possible. This can be a great help later down the line.

What are your plans after graduation?

After graduation I will find a role in industry and progress my personal development further, looking to challenge myself regularly.

Once I have my foot in the door I am going to begin learning brand strategy and further my skill set. Within the next 7 years I want to be the Creative Director at my own design house, hiring exclusively fresh graduates to give them a platform to propel themselves into industry – a lot is already happening behind the scenes.

See more of Jordan’s work:

Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/jordan._design/

LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/jordan-smith-4ab343200/

Behance – https://www.behance.net/jordansmith19?isa0=1

Find out more about BA(Hons) Design for Digital Media

Visit the Graduate Show

Follow the Summer shows on Instagram