sam polidano work

Graduates 2022: Samuel Polidano: Graphic Design

“I have always been fascinated by typography and branding. I come from a financial and architecture educational background, which means that my work is often attributed to being precise and meticulous… I tend to take a minimal approach to design, with focus on photography and type.”

Hi Sam – please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

“I come from a financial and architecture educational background, which means that my work is often attributed to being precise and meticulous. Having grown up in a bilingual country I have come to appreciate the power of type and language, and my work often blends both Maltese and English components. Furthermore, the Bauhaus principles have stuck with me since Foundation year and so I tend to take a minimal approach to design, with focus on photography and type.”

“It has not been ideal to study during several lockdowns and moving between countries, but I have learned a lot at Brighton and made connections that I would not have been able to make otherwise. The final year at University has been great in terms of getting to know more people on my course and exploring all the fascinating things about the city.”

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Graphic Design?

“I have always been fascinated by typography and branding, but the option for me to study Graphic Design in Malta was limited. Consequently, this gave me the strength to work hard to get to this stage. Throughout the past few years, I have grown to love the subject even more.”

“I have not made concrete plans as to what awaits after graduation, but I aim to take a few years out from studying and gaining experience working in the Industry. I would love to stay in Brighton for the time being, as there is still lots to explore, and I look forward to that.”

Visit Sam’s website www.sampolidano.co.uk and follow him on Instagram @polidarti

Find out about Visual Communication courses at the University of Brighton.