Graduates 2021: Jason Thompson: Design for Digital Media

Throughout the course, I always felt free to experiment and new ideas were always met with insightful resources and guidance that has helped shape my approach to tackling a brief and how I ultimately see myself as a designer.

I’m a Multimedia & Graphic Designer. Describing my work is an area I have always struggled with as for me it’s something that is constantly evolving as I learn and develop new skills. Having a specific “style” or “niche” is something that has never really appealed to me as the thought of making the same thing for the rest of my life kind of scares me as I love coming up with new creative solutions and just problem solving in general. This often means my work crosses disciplines and media and has led to a diverse mix of outcomes which is often influenced by my love for music and passion for exploring subcultures and new techniques.

Studying at Brighton has been a great experience and one that has been very rewarding. Throughout the course, I always felt free to experiment and new ideas were always met with insightful resources and guidance that has helped shape my approach to tackling a brief and how I ultimately see myself as a designer. The guidance from my tutors has been extremely helpful and their support throughout the pandemic has been second to none. I’d like to give special mention to the head of the course and my personal tutor Vanessa Marr who went above and beyond, was always available to reach and constantly challenged me to push myself as a designer and made me think about the wider context of my work in a way that has undoubtedly prepared me for work within a professional context.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Design for Digital Media?

Initially I was studying Graphic Design but switched to DDM and joined straight into second year. The thing that initially appealed to me about the course and drew me to make the switch was the digital focus. As I am not particularly interested in traditional printmaking, I wanted to produce content for platforms that I would actively consume and was more reflective of the rapidly increasing digital landscape and I felt DDM was the perfect match for that. The next major factor for selecting the course was the openness for experimentation and the diverse mix of designers and design styles the course was open to as at that time I did not know exactly what it was I wanted to do so I wanted to try different things to see if I enjoyed them. An example of this was the animation module within the second year in which I found it is not an area I particularly enjoy and could not see myself as solely an animator but that was fine as I was then able to use the skills I picked up and find a way to apply them in a manner that best suited the given brief.

After graduation, I’m just really excited to get working, continue to grow and develop my skill set, and ultimately make cool things. I’m currently looking for internships or entry-level jobs at creative agencies and studios and I’m really eager to learn the ins and outs of the industry as I have real aspirations of eventually starting my own studio to come up with creative solutions for brands.

Visit Jason’s website

Follow Jason on Instagram

Linkedin

Find out more about BA(Hons) Design for Digital Media