boots by joseph ring

Graduates 2021: Joseph Ring: Fine Art Painting

“The university has offered me so much, not only through the tutoring I have received, but also in the opportunities it has exposed me to, alongside meeting other incredible artists I share a course with. Brighton really has shown me what can be done with painting and how open for exploration the practice truly is.”

Hi Joseph – please tell us a bit about your work and your influences?

“My most recent work revolves around a concept I refer to as “ugly endearment”, reflecting ugly places one might see around where they live or give an essence of a place that the viewer may find familiar. Most, if not all, of my work utilises objects as opposed to paint and I use these to create compositions, for instance school chairs and shoes. Early on in my practice, I was largely inspired by the 1960s Italian Art movement Arte Povera, but of late I have narrowed my scope to artists such as Richie Culver and some film directors, such as Matthew Holness and his film Possum.”

“My time at Brighton has been life changing. It has been a myriad of ups and downs, but the positives far outweigh any of the negatives. The university has offered me so much, not only through the tutoring I have received, but also in the opportunities it has exposed me to, alongside meeting other incredible artists I share a course with. I will miss this course and this University immensely once I leave.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Fine Art Painting?

“Why I chose painting is quite a loaded question for me. My art courses at GCSE and A level were poor, but showed me just enough to plant that interest in painting and a desire to do more with the practice than what I was taught. From there I went on to a foundation course where my interest really flourished. Prior to my foundation I had already participated in an open day at Brighton and loved the city and the campus from the start. After that point there was really only one place I wanted to study my BA. Brighton really has shown me what can be done with painting and how open for exploration the practice truly is.

“My main long term plan for after I graduate is to become a Teacher, mainly so that I can put right what I was taught in school. I want to encourage people to take up art and help them along doing something they may love. In the short term however, I intend to rest for a bit!”

Visit Joseph’s website https://www.josephringartist.com/

Find out about studying Fine Art Painting BA(Hons) at Brighton.