Students Christmas tribute to much loved lecturer

Students from Graphic Design and Illustration courses have come together to pay tribute to much loved lecturer Gary Powell who died earlier this year.

The ‘Christmas Tree’ tribute to Gary stands in the Grand Parade building where he taught. The tree is topped by one of Gary’s trademark hats.
 Gary Powell Christmas tree
Gary, a graphic designer, illustrator and printmaker worked at the University of Brighton since 1995 and was a much loved friend and colleague to both the Graphic Design and Illustration courses.
Gary tree birds

Gary was an award winning designer & illustrator winning numerous awards and nominations including D&AD ‘Silver Pencil, the Asian award for Illustration and the B&H First Prize Gold Pencil award for Illustration.

Gary Powell

His work was selected for the Royal Mail’s Millennium Stamp Collection alongside 48 top image makers of Great Britain alongside Peter Blake, George Hardie and David Hockney.

See the making of it on Brighton Viscom’s Instagram

Find out more about our Visual Communication courses

2 thoughts on “Students Christmas tribute to much loved lecturer

1. So sorry to hear of the passing of Gary, I was recollecting my friendship to Gary to my Grandaughter when he used to come into Capitol Screenprint our Screenprint company in Edmonton in North London, we used to let him use one of our hand benches to create some of his early works. What a lovely genuine guy he was and we had many conversations about his ideas on art illustration and design. This lovely man deserved a longer time on this planet but I am sure that what he imparted to all the people he met was equal to many more years R.I.P GARY and you will always be in my memories.
    BARRY KEMP Retired CAPITOL SCREENPRINT