Learning a lot from this culture project

Time knows no boundary. A month has just slipped away before we realize it.

To be honest, about the parenting culture blog,  as for me, I failed to do any interview as I couldn’t find any proper people. I did turn to my host lady butwas rejected because she didn’t want to be judged by other people as she was sort of dignant at what aothers thought about the way she rasing kids when she gave the ECP students her view last time.BUT I did browse online and read some articles about parenting in the UK. Fortunately, two  members  of our group did some interviews and got some ideas about parenting. Though this project is quite in a rush, anyway, from our interviews and online articles , we find some similarities and also differences between parenting  in U.K and China and learn something.

I GUESS, it is a global phenomenon that if not all but most parents attach great importance to education. Parents both in UK and China view education sinificant and pay great attention to it. What we notice is that parents in UK do it in ways  a little different from those in China. Most parents in China  treat the academic performance as the top of education, while parents in U.K also stress the personal empowerment and character development. Maybe this is one of the reasons why children here spend a lot more time on outdoor activities than Chinese kids, who , most of the time, study and do homework at school or home. Meanwhile, Chinese parents seem to be more strict while parents in the U.K praise and encourage kids more often . Well, there is always more for us to explore in the next few weeks if we are determided to fine out more.

What we can learn from this parenting culture project is we chinese mothers should not just focus on the academic performance but realize personal development is also a very important component of education. It is better for parents  to urge kids to enjoy some outdoor activities and share some housework at home as well besides school homework . Kids need praise and encoragement,  we parents should not hesitate to give them and be more patient.

4 thoughts on “Learning a lot from this culture project

1. After doing the work, I think it’s better for us to learn from each other and try our best to make the children in the world better and better.

2. We hold the same opinions, I decide to take my kids to some meaningful outdoor activities after going back home instead of asking them to learning indoors. Try different ways of educating our children.

3. This is a perceptive and helpful comment on what you have found out about parenting in the UK. I hope it will give you more to reflect on when you return to China. Well done!
    Theresa