Student News and Events

News and events for University of Brighton students

Mentoring celebration

On 14 May, students celebrated their hard work on the Momentum scheme, a programme designed to help BME, disabled students and those lacking in confidence, build skills and confidence for future employment.

Robert and George

Students and mentees – Robert & George

Robert is in his first year studying social sciences at the Falmer campus. Before signing up for mentoring, he had a fear of talking in public and being autistic, found it hard to speak to people he didn’t know. He was paired with Andy from American Express who has helped to boost his confidence.

Robert showed everyone just how far he had come by giving a moving speech about his time on the scheme to a room of 40 strangers. Robert said: “I’m so glad that I took part in the mentoring programme, I couldn’t have done any of this without Andy.”

He’s now looking for a job with the help of Andy and has his sights set on working at American Express in Brighton.

Diane, a mature student studying History, Politics and Culture, was paired with Fiona Morris who she describes as “lovely”.

photo 2

Mentor and Mentee of the Year – Fiona & Diane

“Fiona has really been there for me. I no longer question my abilities. She’s my inspiration; she has incredible insight and can provide perspective when I get frustrated. She has helped me regain my tenacity, confidence and strength and I feel like I can deal with anything.”

Yan is in her fourth year studying at BSMS and says that the scheme is just one example of how students are supported here.

“I have benefitted so much from having a mentor. My mentor, Leslie, is an amazing lady with a wealth of wisdom and kindness. Having regular meetings with her helped me through some really difficult times in my academic and personal life over the last year. A programme like this shows how the uni puts us students first, I feel grateful to be a Brighton student.”

If you’d like to find out more about the Momentum mentoring scheme and how it can help you, click here.

Ed Bending • 28 May 2015