PVU Student Experiences

In the Photo Video Unit we work with students from various courses supporting their work during their time at Uni. Some of our recent students talk about their experiences working with PVU below:

PVU Student Experiences – Tiandi

pvu

I am Tiandi, I did an MA in illustration/sequential design at the University of Brighton.

During my MA I was interested in how to create images that conveyed emotion using a variety of media, experimenting with black and white film, 16mm film and animation, cyanotype and collage.

The central theme of my main project ‘Floating Light’ is to uncover the transient beauty of life and to pursue it with courage.

I had never been exposed to this technique before attending cyanotype workshop in the photo unit, and Rachel’s instructions were so concise and easy to follow that even non-native English speakers were able to understand and master the technique in no time at all.

Cyanotype produced a stunning blue colour that gave me the idea that I wanted to continue exploring its possibilities. So, I experimented with adding botanical inks and soapy water, all of which can be done in the photo unit. Using the UV lamps in the studio shortens the exposure time (compared to exposure in daylight), so I can see the result faster and adjust in time.

cyan
mixed media cyanotype,148mm x 210mm ,2023

In the part 2, I made a short stop-frame animation and an experimental film, both based on the 16mm filmmaking workshops.

This section is inspired by Matt’s workshop on 16mm filmmaking and 16mm animation, where Matt introduced many related artists and their work.
Especially nowadays, with the trend towards more and more HD, this old way of doing things is rarely seen in everyday life. But I think this time-consuming way is better for conveying emotion.

In the workshop, Matt taught me how to shoot on a Bolex, how to develop the film by hand, how to screen the film, and helped me transfer the film to digital format. This is a technique I would not have had access to outside of the photo unit, and the full range of equipment and professional guidance was a huge benefit to me, taking me from someone who knew nothing about film to someone who can create their own films.

animation
Stop-frame animation, 2024 & Experimental film,2024
I learnt how to produce negatives and photogram. Kirsty’s presentation was full of energy and each step was clearly explained.
There is a sense of time passing differently in the darkroom than it does outside.
With prints becoming an everyday occurrence, it was a wonderful experience to be in the darkroom with the enlarger. The black and white film can also be developed by hand at the photo unit and later scanned electronically.
darkroom
In the darkroom,2023 & Research zine,2023
I attended Richard’s photo studio induction.
Even though I had never used such a professional studio before, I was able to shoot my own work under Richard’s guidance. He introduced me to the equipment in the studio and showed me how to use a professional camera.
As my handmade book is very small, the focus needs to be adjusted, Richard was very patient and helped me to complete the shoot.
pop up
Pop-up book, 148mm x 210mm, 2023

PVU Student Experiences – Charlie

charlie
MA final project – Grand Parade studios

I graduated from Fine Art painting and in my final year I began to explore alternative processes and traditional black and white printing within PVU.

A large part of my decision to undertake my masters at the University of Brighton was to work with the fantastic technical staff in PVU.

Through an interdisciplinary practice, I explore the cumulative effects mass production/communication has had on the human experience.
I am interested in the degradation of older black and white photographs, 
particularly the “silvering out” or “silver mirroring” that occurs when air pollution and moisture oxidizes some of the silver that forms the image.

I aimed to create composite “paintings” that are at the intersection between print, photography and painting. Coating silver emulsion onto a reflective substrate via a brush, later to be exposed, then toned (silvering out).

Negatives for the exposures were made from a series of television feedback loops combined with pictorial ephemera from my life.

The initial stages were creating the negatives. I had multiple sessions with Matt, setting up convulsed feedback loops using CRT TVs and videos mixers.
Matt’s knowledge proved essential to the project. We would get lost in the glitched out void for hours!

charlie mixer
Creating video feedback loops in the studio

Next came experimentation with liquid emulsions and the silvering out chemistry. I made hand coated prints onto paper to trouble shoot.
Kirsty’s expertise with liquid emulsions made sure everything ran smoothly. Those first prints are some of my favourite work I’ve ever made.
Personal histories and domestic memories underpin a significant part of my practice.

Throughout the year I had marvellous discussions with all members of the PVU. I was lucky enough to read Rachel Maloney’s The Matriarchive in the special collections at St Peter’s Library. 
Seeing Rachel’s research and having great conversations always left my mind bubbling and totally inspired.

matriarchive
The Matriarchive – Rachel Maloney

After some more feedback loop experiments and compositional experiments on expired Kodak paper, it came to the time make with final prints in the aforementioned technique. The results being 6ft by 4ft hand coated silver gelatine print.

charlie darkroom
Making large prints with Kirsty in the darkroom

This project was a large undertaking. I had always dreamed of doing it. I thought perhaps it wouldn’t be possible. Not only due to the technical undertaking but also the health safety aspect, as well as the sheers size of the print.

Throughout the year Richard was always at hand for technical trouble shooting, health and safety liaising and a good chinwag. Richard has proved to be one of the most important people in my entire education.

I can’t speak highly enough of the PVU. When I think of my time at the university I think of the PVU, they helped me fulfil my artistic ambitions and then some.

I can whole heartily say the technical staff of the PVU proved crucial to my artistic and academic success throughout the year.

PVU Student Experiences – Poppy

My name’s Poppy and I’m currently in my third year of studying Illustration at the University of Brighton.

poppy1

I enjoy working with a wide range of mediums (such as painting, collage, embroidery and photography) but always remain focused on portraying themes of introspection, grief and identity.
I’ve had a fascination with self-portraiture for the past five years and over the last year the PVU staff have helped me create works I’m extremely proud of.
I’ve booked out equipment I hadn’t used previously and wouldn’t have access to outside of university, like medium format film cameras, and the staff thoroughly ran through how to use them before I got started.

I attended Kirsty’s darkroom introduction workshop where I got familiarised with how to use all of the equipment and how to create my own prints.
I also had a 1:1 introduction workshop with Rachel where I was taught how to scan my negatives so I could access my film photos digitally too.
Both of their instructions were incredibly clear and they always made me feel comfortable to ask questions if I ever had any doubts.

poppy x 2

I’m incredibly thankful for all the support I’ve received from the PVU staff. They’ve been nothing but encouraging towards me and have made my university experience more enjoyable!