Education studies and teaching courses at Brighton news

Percy, RS PGCE graduate

Meet one of our PGCE graduates

We recently caught up with Percy, who graduated in 2018 from our (Secondary) Religious Studies PGCE to find out more about his career in teaching.

Percy, RS PGCE graduateIn which ways do you feel your degree prepared you for your career?

My two placement schools provided me with different experiences and opportunities to develop. I had the opportunity to teach both Secondary and A-Level students, thereby building on my subject knowledge, developing more practical ways of positively managing student behaviour and learning how to effectively manage workload.

This PGCE helped me to be more resilient. I also developed lesson planning and delivery skills, positive behaviour management skills and further enhanced my subject knowledge in religion.

What support did you receive from the university in becoming an early careers teacher?

The course team and the University of Brighton were really helpful prior to me graduating, offering lots of advice and support with job applications and interviews which helped me to secure my first role as an early career teacher.

I was offered employment with both my placement schools and since graduating have been working in various roles in one of these settings.

What kind of teaching roles have you taken on since graduating?

My school has been very supportive and provided lots of CPD opportunities that has helped me develop in my practice.

Since graduating I have progressed from being a tutor, to Deputy Head of Year, mentored 2 trainee teachers, been Head of KS3 in the Beliefs and Values faculty and I’m currently Head of Faculty for Beliefs and Values.

I believe one of the main reasons why I have seen this level of progress in my teaching career is because of the support I received from the University of Brighton and as an early careers’ teacher.

What was the best thing about your course?

I really enjoyed the workshops and the opportunities it provided to interact with and learn from a wide range of people with different experiences and from different backgrounds.

Everyone on the course team was friendly and supportive. The drop-in sessions, advice and resources offered by the team were extremely helpful.

What advice would you give to anyone looking to study a PGCE at Brighton

Studying a PGCE at Brighton was a wonderful experience for me. I would advise anyone looking to make this decision to not look back, as you would soon find that it was one of the best decisions you ever made.

Thinking of becoming a teacher?

Why not come along to our Train to Teach campus event on Thursday 13 October to speak with our staff and find out more about teaching at Brighton.

Christina Camm • September 29, 2022