University of Brighton Design Archives

Collections • Collaboration • Research

Brighton School of Art

A black and white image depicting an art class taking place at the Brighton School of Art, from the late 19th century. Taken from the Brighton School of Art Archive housed at the University of Brighton Design Archives.

’Art Class’ (late 19th century). Uncatalogued.

The Brighton School of Art was established above the kitchen of the Royal Pavilion in January 1859, moving to its own building in Grand Parade in 1877. Achieving national standing and expanding substantially in subsequent decades, the school moved into larger modern premises on the same site in 1961. In 1970 Brighton Polytechnic was formed from the Brighton Colleges of Art and Technology. In 1992 along with many other former Polytechnics, Brighton was formally designated as a ‘new’ university – the University of Brighton. The archive comprises photographs, curricula and other records that document the activities of staff and students throughout the school’s long history.

Find out more about the history of the Brighton School of Art.

A button to press to browse this archive on the Archives Hub

A black and white photograph of a sculpture modelling class taking place at the Brighton School of Art, from the 1950s. Taken from the Brighton School of Art Archive housed at the University of Brighton Design Archives.

Modelling Class’ (1950s). Uncatalogued.

A black and white photograph from a Brighton School of Art student lecture from around the 1950s. Taken from the Brighton School of Art Archive housed at the University of Brighton Design Archives.

‘Lecture’ (mid-twentieth century). Uncatalogued.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Sirpa Kutilainen • January 1, 1998


Previous Post

Next Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published / Required fields are marked *

Skip to toolbar