School of Business and Law

At the School of Business and Law, University of Brighton, we teach, research and consult across the full range of business, management and law disciplines.

Law graduate Alexandra Pagu

Graduates 2024: Alexandra Pagu

Alex has just completed her final year studying Law LLB(Hons), in this blog she shares her experience of the course, including winning an Award for Excellence from the School of Business and Law, being on work placement at DMH Stallard and Monan Gozzett; and participating in the University of Brighton Legal Clinic.

Studying a law degree at Brighton

I chose to study Law LLB(Hons) at the University of Brighton because I have always aspired to be a lawyer, driven by a strong sense of justice and a desire to change people’s lives. Unfortunately, my father’s death led me to support my family financially, putting my dream on hold. However, at 28 years old, I made a courageous decision to apply for law school, determined to pursue my dream despite the challenges.

I chose the University of Brighton because of its ranking in the United Kingdom, its modern facilities, and the wise lecturers. I want to mention Dr Jo Smith, who was always there to guide the students when needed.

My highlights of the course

The modules I enjoyed the most were Criminal Law, Family Law, Equity & Trusts, and the Justice and Practice – Community Legal Clinic.

Criminal and Family Law are not just areas of study for me, they are my passion. I am deeply fascinated by the intricacies of these two areas of law and the potential they hold to change people’s lives. I am confident that my thorough understanding of these fields will enable me to make a significant impact in my future career.

Equity & Trusts was a module that truly captivated me. I was fascinated by the convoluted laws that govern it and how they serve to protect the citizens, sparking my enthusiasm for the subject.

Being a student clinician was a rewarding experience. It not only taught me how to apply the SRA Code of Conduct for Solicitors and work effectively with other student clinicians but also allowed me to see the direct impact of my legal knowledge on real clients. The Legal Clinic module was a valuable opportunity to put my legal knowledge into practice and make a difference in people’s lives.

Winning an Award of Excellence and placement opportunities

In my first year, I won a prize at the School of Business and Law Awards for Excellence for having the highest mark overall. I was awarded one week of work experience with DMH Stallard. During my week in the Horsham office’s Family Law Dispute Resolution department, one of my responsibilities was to take attendance notes in client interviews.

I also spent one week at Monan Gozzett in Arundel—Private Defence False Allegations, where Neal Gozzett made me feel part of the team by immediately involving me in a live criminal case and allowing me to show my abilities to apply the law in a practical setting. Following my experience in the office, I gained invaluable experience and strengthened my belief that being a criminal law solicitor is my calling.

Participating in Brighton Legal Clinic

I participated in the University of Brighton Legal Clinic, and I loved it. I chose the Legal Clinic over the dissertation because I knew I was practical. Being a student clinician taught me how to handle unexpected situations professionally with a team member or a client. It also allowed me to see my strengths and where to improve to provide quality service to clients.

Supporting my development and career

This degree, a testament to my dedication and hard work, has truly changed my life. It is the first solid brick in the foundation of my future career in law.

Obtaining a law degree has been a transformative journey, personally and professionally. It has not only eliminated the frustration I accumulated during my 12 years because I could not pursue a law career but also filled me with a sense of fulfilment that I could not have found in any other profession. It has broadened my perspective, enabling me to see every situation from multiple angles, not just from a legal standpoint but also in real life. I  firmly believe there is a solution to every problem, and I am resolutely determined to find it.

My plans after graduating

After graduating, I will start studying in September 2024 LLM SQE 1&2 online part-time with BPP University. I am seeking a full-time paralegal job or training contract to fulfil the qualifying law experience to qualify as a solicitor.

Interested in studying law at Brighton?

Are you thinking about studying for a law degree at the University of Brighton? There’s still time to apply through clearing – find out more on our website.

Christina Camm • July 31, 2024