Grace-Oreyeni-standing-in-font-of-a-Royal-Pharmaceutical-Society-banner

Scholarship provides a boost for University of Brighton student

Pharmacy student, Grace Oreyeni, was awarded the Black and Black-Mixed Heritage Progression Scholarship.

The Progression Scholarship includes financial support as well as access to other support, such as free gym membership and access to mentoring and networking opportunities. Here she tells us how the scholarship has impacted her so far.

How has your experience been so far?

I have really enjoyed my scholarship student experience so far. Reflecting on my first year, I gained a lot of experience and opportunities to not only grow academically but personally and professionally too.

Having the opportunity to have a mentor through the Identity Match programme was really beneficial to me. It gave me an opportunity to learn how to develop a structured routine while finding time to also invest in my hobbies and passions. Being paired with a mentor who worked in the Pharmaceutical Industry was even more advantageous; it was great to have someone relatable to guide me along the way.

What difference is the scholarship making to you?

The financial support has allowed me to invest my time into studying and accessing other activities to inform my professional aspirations. For instance, I was selected to take part in a six-week summer internship with NHS England through the 10k Black Interns Programme and I was also selected to go on a four-week placement with Well Pharmacy.

Both opportunities enabled me to build my professional network and hear from inspiring voices who have not taken the conventional career path using their Pharmacy degree. I gained an insight into the working world and saw the invaluable perspective a pharmacist within the System Improvement Directorate could provide.

I am very appreciative of the opportunity to receive the scholarship; it is a privilege. It has transformed my outlook on life and my goals for the future. I am not only motivated and driven to pursue my goal to work within the Pharmacy industry, but I am also now getting the means to align my mindset to these goals and building the skills I need along the way. I look forward to the day where I too can help support university students in their academic endeavours.

Find out more about our scholarships

Progression Scholarships are awarded annually to first-year University of Brighton students who are either from a low-income household or from black or black-mixed heritage backgrounds. These scholarships are made available via donations made to our Student Potential Fund; if you would like to find out how you can help support students like Grace, then please visit our website.