work by liz wright

Graduates 2024: Liz Wright: Fine Art

“To me, Brighton is symbolic of freedom… it fosters a freeing atmosphere where you feel as though you can express yourself authentically and open-mindedness thrives.”

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences.

“Wright synthesises a union of pseudo-religious divinity, corporal form, and introspective reflection to create contemporary sculptures. Wright’s work is characterised by an intriguing amalgamation of fossil-like humanistic compositions. Employing her own body as a conduit, she uses techniques such as plasterwork, casting, mixed media and sculpting to create what she terms as eternal indentations within her pieces – whether that be casting directly from her physique or more abstract gestures to her form as seen in her works such as Sit Back And Reflect (2022) and Amaranth (2024). This intimate process imbues her work with a sense of permanence, a testament to the artist’s presence
throughout its endurance. Customarily, the artist juxtaposes her sculptures with bold metallic finishes accompanied by garishly kitsch and gratuitous textural elements in an attempt to bring a sense of joviality to the solemn and rather foreboding philosophical and religious themes explored within the artist’s work.”

work by liz wright work by liz wright

Can you tell us about any staff who particularly inspire you?

“Throughout my last year on the course, Helen the fine art workshop manager, has definitely inspired me due to her extensive knowledge of materials and staging sculpture for galleries. As a result of Helen’s guidance, I feel far more confident in experimenting with new materials and problem-solving within my practice.”

What does Brighton mean to you?

“To me, Brighton is symbolic of freedom in every sense of the word. In a personal sense, it’s the first place I have lived independently of my family, obtained a new set of friends, and gained insight into who I am as a person. In a more general sense, Brighton fosters a freeing atmosphere where you feel as though you can express yourself authentically and open-mindedness thrives.”

Can you tell us your plans after graduation?

“After graduation, I plan to return home to continue my fine art practice while simultaneously exploring other creative endeavours, before applying for a master’s degree in art psychotherapy.”

Instagram @Motel.Liz
Email: elizabethnvh@gmail.com