Graduates 2023: Simon Tomlinson: Printmaking

“What I enjoyed most is the emphasis on learning through making, following your curiosity and taking risks.”

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences.

I’m very process-driven, and curiosity-driven. My approach to printmaking is to play with materials to see what they like to do. To learn through the very physical act of making, always looking for a balance between intention and an openness to the unexpected things that are often quite magical when you work with print. My recent work has been an exploration of etching, which is a centuries-old process. But for me, learning the proper way to do something is just a starting point; every process can be played with and stretched in ways that possibly haven’t been done before. That’s what excites me most.

How have you found your course and what made you choose it?

I think the Printmaking course here is a bit of a hidden gem. I’ve learnt so much, and it’s not just about print but also about image-making more generally. You develop ideas through various media and processes, and these processes often suggest unexpected directions. What I enjoyed most is the emphasis on learning through making, following your curiosity and taking risks.
It’s also nice that being quite a small course, we all got to know each other really well.

Was the location of Brighton more important than you thought it would be?

I’ve lived in Brighton for nearly 20 years, and there’s so much creative energy here. It’s a unique place. There’s always so much happening here culturally, but then there’s the beautiful Downs and the sea if you need some peace. And London is a nice distance away. We’ve had several trips up to see shows and visit print studios etc., which is always a great day out.

I’m considering doing an MA in printmaking, but my main priority is to keep the momentum in my practice going. I feel like I’m just getting started! I’m also looking into some residency opportunities later in the year.

If you could give you 16 year old self any advice about going to University what would it be?

Trust your instincts and make the very most of it!

Follow Simon on Instagram

Find out more about Fine Art Printmaking

Watch out for news about the Graduate Summer Show

Follow the Brighton Summer Shows on Instagram