Graduates 2023: Sally Scott: Illustration

“Staying in Brighton was important to me as it has such a vibrant creative community and the Illustration course seemed to be the best fit for what I wanted to study.”

My work explores themes of identity, femininity and the surreal and sometimes unpleasant aesthetics that exists within feminine aesthetics. I use photography and self-portraiture in costume to communicate these themes and rely on mostly in-camera effects and set design to create the surreal worlds I place the characters within. I find inspiration from vintage horror, most recently the 1922 film ‘Haxan’, 1970s cookbooks and the weird pastel worlds of artists such as Juno Calypso. I often refer to cinematic landscapes when creating my photographs, as I studied film prior to attending the Illustration course.

How have you found your course and what made you choose it?

I found the Illustration BA course online, after taking a (few) gap years away from education I wanted to study near where I was based, and the illustration course had a clear focus on exploratory work, visual communication, and freedom of choice regarding style and creative methods. Staying in Brighton was important to me as it has such a vibrant creative community and the Illustration course seemed to be the best fit for what I wanted to study.

Did you go on a placement or ? If so could you tell us about it – what were your takeaways?

I didn’t attend any University led placements, but I did independently seek out gallery work during my time on the Illustration course. My takeaway was to never sacrifice working rights for an opportunity, know your worth and advocate for your time.

Was the location of your course in Brighton more important than you thought it would be?

The location of Grand Parade is very central, so I enjoyed being so near to the city centre and bus routes.

I am in the process of applying for a master’s course in Fine Art photography, during which I hope to continue pursuing my photographic work and set myself up to start working in the creative sector.

If you could give you 16 year old self any advice about going to University what would it be?

To not rush into anything, take the time to select the right course for you. If you aren’t quite ready yet, there’s no shame in looking again the next year. University is a big commitment and it’s best to be certain about aspirations before attempting them. It’s best to set your goals high than to settle, so try and find a course that fits you and your needs.

Follow Sally on Instagram

Sally’s website

Find out more about BA(Hons) Illustration

Watch out for news about the Graduate Summer Show

Follow the Brighton Summer Shows on Instagram