Graduates 2023: Abby French: Illustration

“This year, one of my animations was used within BBCs Great British Menu Finale and my illustrations are displayed over 26 benches throughout the Brighton Marina.”

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

I am an illustrator through and through. I work in a number of mediums but more recently I have been exploring quick expressive pen illustration style that convey stories within a single frame in a similar way to artists like David Shrigley and Mr Bingo. This year, one of my animations was used within BBCs Great British Menu Finale and my illustrations are displayed over 26 benches throughout the Brighton Marina.

How have you found your course and what made you choose it?

The tutors on this course have been wonderful, Roderick, Jasper, Claire and Jeremy have consistently been excellent within critiques and general feedback. I chose to study illustration at Brighton as I knew two things at 18, I like drawing and I like Brighton.

Was the location of your course in Brighton more important than you thought it would be?

The location of Brighton was a huge deciding point for me when choosing where to go to uni. Being able to go to the beach at a moments notice and zoom around cycle paths during the summer is every bit as fun as I expected.

What are your plans after graduation?

I plan on becoming a world famous super star.

If you could give you 16 year old self any advice about going to University what would it be?

It’s really hard, in every respect really, I won’t downplay that. But you’re going to come out of this with so much life experience, moving out and learning to fend for yourself is difficult but rewarding. But you will miss your cats, dogs and parents more than you can ever imagine.

Follow Abby on Instagram