Graduates 2023: Rowena Guy De Quin: Fashion Communication

“It has all gone so fast and it feels over too soon, but I am excited to continue working on projects with my friends as we all go into this next stage of life.”

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

My final major project, titled ‘Choreographing Imagery’ looks to the material and spatial relationships between bodies, clothing and environment. Visual and academic resources have been compiled as a body of research, from which, a series of photography and styling works have been developed. I look to translate academic ideas photographically – using negative space, shadow, dynamic pose, and unconventional materials to draw attention to the interesting ways that dressed bodies operate amongst their surroundings. I collaborate with performers and movement artists in an effort to capture ephemeral moments, and to provide still-image with a dynamic energy.

How have you found your course and what made you choose it?

I chose to study Fashion Communication because of the broad creative scope of the course. I have been able to experiment within many disciplines, before finding my specialism. I have really benefitted from the technical support of the Photographic Service Unit team, and the academic knowledge of my tutors. With their help, I have been able to cultivate a style and approach to image-making that feels my own, and to identify an area of interest that I am excited to carry forward.

Did you go on a placement? If so could you tell us about it – what were your takeaways?

My placement year helped me to get a better sense of the work opportunities available in the fashion industry, and to reflect on what aspect of it I’d like to be a part of. I began working as a styling assistant on editorial and commercial shoots, and enjoyed seeing how creatives of different specialisms joined forces to make an image together. I met some fun people, did some unexpected jobs, felt challenged – and then returned to Brighton motivated to make my own ideas work.

Was the location of your course in Brighton more important than you thought it would be?.

I have really enjoyed living and studying in Brighton. It has felt like a cheerful place to be a student and very quickly felt like home. I like the community-feeling of the art school and I know that I will be fond of Brighton for a long time.

What are your plans after graduation?

After I graduate I will return to London and hope to consolidate my learning in new contexts. I will continue my styling endeavours, and would also like to get some experience as a photography assistant in order to gain some new technical skills that I could apply to my own practice.

If you could give you 16 year old self any advice about going to University what would it be?

I am glad that I didn’t rush into University although I felt uncertain about it at the time. Doing things in the wrong order helped me to find a course that ended up really suiting me. I’m glad to have taken the time to do an art foundation first, to have worked a few different jobs and to have lived in a new place. It has all gone so fast and it feels over too soon, but I am excited to continue working on projects with my friends as we all go into this next stage of life.

Follow Rowena on Instagram

Find out more about BA(Hons) Fashion Communication with Business Studies

Watch out for news about the Graduate Summer Show