Graduates 2023: Josie Hooper: Digital Music and Sound Arts

“I took a chance, and it’s turned out really well.”

I’ve been working on the sound art since the course. I have a minor musical background but most of my work is inspired by my technical background in engineering. I like to use sound as a medium to explore my own experiences of life.

How have you found your course and what made you choose it?

Digital Music and Sound Arts has been a wonderful experience for me. I realised engineering wasn’t for me and so, I was looking for other interests of mine to pursue, music being one of them. This course was one of those options. I took a chance, and it’s turned out really well.

Was the location of your course in Brighton more important than you thought it would be?

The course being in Brighton was definitely a major factor in deciding to join DMSA. The queer community here has allowed me to flourish, which has then come through in the work I produce.

I’ve come to realise, being in education for most my life, I want a year to work within the music industry and find my feet, travel, and refresh before really exploring sound art through residencies and call outs.

If you could give your 16-year-old self-advice about going to University what would it be?

It’s okay to have a day of not studying, especially if you’re stressed. Learning to handle those emotions are more important in the long run.  Also to just trust in your work, if you believe it’s good, then its good.

Find out more about BA(Hons) Digital Music and Sound Art

Watch out for news about the Graduate Summer Show

Follow the Brighton Summer Shows on Instagram