Graduate Show 2019: Geena Wood: Interior Architecture

My final year work has been influenced by my interest in how UK creative industries must not be hindered by the Brexit result.

During my projects I have tried to use this as a catalyst to create spaces that encourage creative progression through performing arts.

Drawn overview of project

Please tell us about your final year project

4thof May 2019 – Brighton festival opening night

Tickets? Booked online. Time slot? 7.30pm. Where? National Car Park, Brighton city centre.

It’s a grubby 1960s car park tucked away behind the laines. Waiting outside you catch glimpses of colour glowing through the voids in the concrete façade. You see fabric flowing, flashes of colour and light – people inside are moving through the layers of the building. On the rooftop, giant curtains loom above you. What’s inside?  

This proposal is an interpretation of the Brexit Shortsscripts as a site specific immersive theatre installation into the National Car Park for Brighton Festival 2019.The unique design element is the interactive relationship between the visitor and the spatial experience, journey and intervention. The set designs include symbolism through sculptures, and user interaction with fabric curtains and technological elements. 

Thursday 23rd June 2016 held the referendum in which 51.9% of the UK voted to leave the EU. The political milestone sent our nation into a spin – what seems to be one of Britain’s most profound political crises, has left most of us in a state of complete bewilderment. Brexit Shortsdocuments the post-Brexit experiences of 8 characters from different walks of life within the UK (the plays were released as videos online by the Guardian).

The host building is a stark brutalist NCP structure hidden within the heart of Brighton city centre. The vast and bold interiors combined with layered structures and voids in the façade provide a concrete playground for spatial intervention. This project uses the site as an environment for installation design and space making to reignite the spark of site specific performance within Brighton, using our current unstable political state as a catalyst for creative theatrical experiences. 

How have you found your course/time at Brighton?

My time at Brighton university has enabled me to be free thinking in my creative endeavours and opened my eyes to the multidisciplinary aspects of interior architecture. This is really exciting because it has shown me that I can work in a range of mediums – such as drawing, writing or film-making – if it suits me and my methods of spatial communication. 

What are your plans after Graduation?

My plans after graduation are to stay in Brighton and try to get some experience working in the design field. I am excited to try and find experience in different areas, such as set design, exhibition design, writing or education.

Follow Geena on Instagram

See more of Geena’s work 

Find out more about Interior Architecture

Visit the Graduate Show

#brightongradshow19