Graduate Show 2019: Emily Moore: Illustration

I work primarily with moving image, making animated short films with the aim of creating a sense of atmosphere and mood.

What really underpins all of my work is a love for story telling: bringing stories to life with images, movements and sounds. My main source of inspiration is film and television – I’m always watching something and scribbling down ideas for things I want to try.

Image showing motel

Please tell us about your final year project?

My final project is a 4-minute film called ‘Lucky Escape’. The film centres around a character on the run who stumbles across a mysterious new place. The work was inspired by the concepts of luck and fate, and how these ideas impact our lives. It’s about feeling lost, out of place and unsure about which direction to take, whilst also trying to find meaning in what happens to us.

The film is completely hand drawn and then animated in Adobe After Effects – a skill that I’ve been learning and developing throughout third year.

Rearview mirror

How have you found your time at Brighton?

The course has been a bit of a rollercoaster. It took me quite a long time to find a way of working that felt right to me – most of first and second year were spent experimenting and panicking; when I look back at my work from this time it feels like it was done by somebody else. The course really encouraged me to think outside the box with illustration – I started first year painting portraits and drawings caricatures thinking that was what I was supposed to be doing, but feel I only started to make my best work when I begun to let go and follow my instincts. It wasn’t until third year that I think I had a break through moment and begun to make moving image – I’ve discovered a whole new way of working that I am fascinated by, and feel very sad to be finishing the course at this stage.

Car in woods

What are your plans after Graduation?

I’m really lucky to have been selected to have a residency at Phoenix Studios in Brighton for a year, thanks to the Cass Art x Phoenix Brighton Studio Award. I’m excited to keep the momentum going and continue working on personal projects, whilst looking for relevant work or an internship.

Follow Emily on Instagram

See more of Emily’s work

Visit the Graduate Show

Find out more about Illustration

#brightongradshow19