Kewitajit Bassi, Gizemsah Meter and Emily Lowry

Art and design students decorate hospital room

Volunteers from Architecture, Moving Image and Graphic Design have designed and painted a seaside-themed mural at the Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital.

Kewitajit Bassi, Gizemsah Meter and Emily Lowry worked with Brighton-based charity Ronald McDonald House in the process of completing the colourful design, which adorns the walls of a laundry room.

The mural displays a seaside scene complete with beach hut, crab and washing line.

mural at children's hospital mural at children's hospital mural at children's hospital

Ronald McDonald House provides ‘home away from home’ accommodation for families with children in hospital. The students volunteered for the product through the Active Student initiative.

Kewitajit, a third-year Graphic Design student, said: “Volunteering with this particular charity is so rewarding because they do such great things for families who need their help, and being involved, even in the small way of painting a mural, means that I too am helping.”

Speaking about the students’ vibrant design, Kewitajit added: “They [Ronald McDonald House] wanted it to be based around the theme of a washing line. We then all researched different themes and drew up different ideas and sent these to the charity, who went with the seaside beach hut idea.”

The mural is similar to one Kewitajit painted at Ronald McDonald House two years ago.

Emily, who studies Moving Image, said: “Being part of charity schemes is important to me because I want to know I’ve been able to help and give back to the community.

“The Ronald McDonald House was the first volunteering I did for charity through being an Active Student, but I’m looking forward to the next project.”