Alice Taylor

Placement at Ditchling Museum leads to intern job

Alice Taylor, History of Decorative Art and Design second year, worked on the Brighton Festival Cathie Pilkington exhibition (now at Grand Parade gallery) as part of her placement – and has secured a curator’s assistant volunteer role this summer.

Hi Alice – tell us about your placement

“My tutor Claire Wintle set up the placement at Ditchling Museum for me. It was 40hrs, but I did more than that. I worked really closely with the director and curator which was really good.

I got to work on the Eric Gill and Cathie Pilkington exhibitions at the museum for three weeks, then was at Grand Parade for two weeks helping to set up the The Life Rooms exhibition there.”

How have you found the course

“Overall loved it, I’m so glad I took it. We are a samll year group which is nice and all the courses in the programme area study together. It’s turned out brilliantly, everything ties in together and you learn about stuff you never thought you’d be interested in. There are lots of trips, which is great – we go up to London every term.”

What would you like to do when you graduate?

” I want to work in museums and curating. I want to do an MA at Brighton in the History of Design and Material Culture. I want to work in an open air museum or with interiors. I’m interested in room settings and real objects within these settings. I love the Geffrye Museum in London.”