MAKING MY FLATPLAN

(AD138: FASHION ILLUSTRATION AND IMAGING – IDENTITY AND THE BODY)

My initial thought, was to make a flat plan by hand. I split a piece of paper equally into 32 sections, for the 32 pages for the 16 double spreads. I then put the front cover, back cover and inside covers and content pages on the back of this piece of paper. 

I found doing a flat plan hard, as a few of my pages are tracing paper, therefore technically I would have to record the backs of these pages as part of my flat plan, so that I knew exactly what was going where. This then meant that there would be quite a few extra pages, but I did not want to count these blank tracing paper pages as part of my ’12-16 double spreads’ so I made two flat plans:

My hand rendered flat plan laid out every page that can content on, and my digital flat plan took into account the extra ‘blank’ pages. 

I found that doing these flat plans made me really think about the flow and the story that I wanted to portray through my zine. I initially really disliked the idea of doing a flat plan prior to having finalised each page, however I now understand how important it is and how it helped me know about colour palette and the way in which I should portray my theme.

Here is a copy of my original initial hand rendered flat plan:

Unfortunately, it probably makes a lot more sense to me as I used a little code and drawings. As opposed to my digital flat plan that contained actual thumbnails of each of my pages:

Obviously I understand the importance of having a digital flat plan with accurate thumbnails so that lots of people can understand what the magazine/book/zine would look like, however, I actually found that doing my original hand rendered flat plan came in so useful throughout the making of my zine and it allowed me to test the flow, rhythm and pace of my zine before laying it all out digitally. 

All work by Kynza Kendall-Jones