27/02/20

In this weeks lesson we were taught about Kino-eye and Non-narrative Film. Whilst Hollywood films tended to follow more a more narrative structure, another popular form of film primarily focused on the visuals of a film. An experimental style of film. Kino-eye was a technique developed in post-revolutionary Russia focusing on a camera that does not represent the human eye and how we see things. In the midst of the nineteenth century modernism became a term associated with the rejection of past conventions, celebrating progress in the ways of technology – this saw a big introduction to avante-garde.

As far as the weekly task, we were tasked from what we learned this lesson, to create a film on film. I chose to focus my film on the setting up and framing of a camera. I did find this rather difficult as I had to film on my phone using one hand and use the other hand to hold the camera steady and change the settings. Whilst not the strongest work, I feel this does briefly represent the idea of ‘film on film.’ I used a cuddly toy that I own as a subject (key focus) to the shot and then filmed as I changed the pre-set on the mode of filming and then subtly changed framing and focus. I do not believe my phone camera picked up on the screen particularly well so I am unsure as to whether these details will be seen. I found this task to be simpler once explained after initially having trouble understanding how to go about making a film on film. Overall whilst short, I feel this is a fair representation of what we were asked to create.