Welcome!

Welcome to my blog accompanying the TE714 ELT Materials module for the Diploma in TESOL at the University of Brighton.

A bit about me:

My first experience teaching English to international students was on my university year abroad when I worked as a British Council Language Assistant at a high school in France. Having never previously considered a career in TESOL, I was surprised when I fell in love with the idea, and eventually decided to move to France permanently upon completing my degree to continue teaching. There, I taught English for Academic Purposes and Academic Skills in The University of Bordeaux’s business studies and law faculties, and in elite grandes écoles specialising in Economics, Law, Political Science, and Engineering. Having completed my CELTA in 2012 and taught for five years in Bordeaux, I decided to make TESOL part of my long-term career plan, returning to the UK in September 2014 in search of better career progression opportunities. Since then I have been working for Kaplan International Colleges at the University of Brighton’s International College and Roedean School, preparing international students for Undergraduate and Masters courses at the University of Brighton, and A-level studies at Roedean School.

During this time I have taught international students at all levels (A1-C2), including mixed-level classes, as part of Undergraduate and Masters programmes, as well as foundation, International Year One, and pre-sessional courses. I have focussed on the specific demands of each course group, as well as academic skills such as researching and referencing, essay writing, scientific report writing, debating and presenting. It is important for me to tailor my teaching and materials to the needs of the students. As such, I have developed and updated courses, and prepared students for IELTS and TOEIC tests, as well as internal written and oral exams that I have created, produced mark schemes for, and corrected with other members of the language department. I have produced mark schemes and course programmes to ensure standardised teaching, testing and marking of written and oral skills, independently and together with colleagues. While I feel that I have gained a lot of experience through my teaching, and knowledge through the CELTA and exchanges with colleagues, I know that I still have a lot to learn.

Being keen to improve on and learn new skills, I enjoy actively participating in best practice and skills workshops, professional development sessions, and attending conferences and workshops on English language teaching. I’m particularly interested in the use of technology in the classroom, and enjoy getting to grips with Virtual Learning Environments. I am excited about deepening my knowledge of the field, and progressing my career. I hope that the Diploma in TESOL will give me the opportunity to expand my knowledge and experience in the field.