Brighton Student bloggers

Read student blogs about student life and the Brighton university experience

A white desk with a laptop, flowers, gold lamp and other working accessories on top

My Experience Studying for a Degree in Marketing Management

Marketing has become one of the most innovative and indispensable sectors of a business. It is the reason why we even know organisations exist. It merges analytics and imagination – that’s why I chose it.

Insight Study

I’ve now stepped into that world as a BSc (Hons) Marketing Management student at the University of Brighton, going into my final year this September.

A typical week is deliberate but dynamic; deliberate in the sense that there are scheduled lectures and seminars every week. In a lecture, you learn the content and have some interactive discourse about it with the professor. Then comes the seminar, where the content is put into practice through case studies, practice questions or real-world examples. For example, in my Law for Marketing class – it’s not as scary as it may sound, I promise – I learnt about advertising law, both B2B and B2C. Then in my Friday seminar, we’d look at some scenarios of when this law could come into play.

The week is also dynamic, as there is a mixture of classes and self-study. For example, this semester I had classes on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays, giving me two days of self-study and time to enjoy extra-curricular activities. Stopping at the Book & Bean café in Elm House before or after class is also a must, I recommend their white chocolate cookie, shortbread, bacon-lettuce-and-tomato sandwiches and hot chocolate!

Some classes you may take include Law for Marketing, The Professional Marketing Practitioner (my personal favourite) and Marketing Analytics.  

A group of people sit around a large white desk on their laptops, looking over at a screen at the far end of the table

Insight Outside of Study

Work, trips and hanging out with friends keep me busy outside of university. As a marketing girlie, it’s fitting that I do some part-time work at a relevant company for experience, so I do – at Tower Marketing back home in the Cayman Islands – remotely, of course. I also made time to realise my dream of visiting Barcelona one day, see some pictures below.

The Future and Career of a Marketing Student

After graduating, I hope to pursue a career under the marketing umbrella as a content marketing or advertising executive. I haven’t decided on the type of company yet, but fashion, beauty and tourism are the first that come to mind. The University of Brighton and my BSc (Hons) Marketing Management degree are the first – but very important – steps towards my future! 

Do grades matter in Clearing? Well, yes but we always look at you as an individual with a variety of talents and strengths. It’s never only about your grades!

Interesting reads: Find out how Eva saw Clearing as just another way to get to uni.

Find out more about Clearing in 2024

MarketingMarketing Managementmoulsecoomb campusPreparing for universitystudent travelstudy tipsTop tipstraveluniversity studyworking while studying

Arianna Dinnall • 10th July 2024