Research in teaching

Wherever possible I try to bring research into my teaching and invariably it reflects the questions and topics I am wrestling with. I coordinate a level 5 politics module called ‘Political Movements’. The students spend the first few weeks addressing concepts such as participation, representation and mobilisation and we cover how social movements work. Then we spend three weeks working on Roma (with three weeks of lectures delivered by me), three weeks working on Latin America, and three weeks on the Egyptian revolution. Each case is led by someone who researches and understands the topic and the students know they are covering the key issues. The students prepare for the seminars on Roma by reading journal articles I have written in two of the three weeks. I reflect on my experience of conducting research in the field across Eastern Europe, some of the challenges I have encountered, and my experience of advising local, national and international policymaking on Roma related issues. One component which the students enjoy is to simulate a policy formulation institution at the EU level and ask students to devise policy interventions (in education, employment, health and housing) to improve the position of Roma. I inform the students that no policy has got it right on Roma issues and I explain the potential advantages and disadvantages of every policy intervention they come up with. I think the students understand that I know the topic extremely well and they appreciate now nuanced and complex addressing discrimination is. Providing students an opportunity to explore the different case studies helps students to understand the utility of political movements in amplifying the voice of marginalised communities.