About Me

My name is Mark Thomas, and I am a student on the Media-Assisted-Language-Teaching (now known as the TESOL with ICT) Masters Course at the University of Brighton. This blog is part of my English Language Teaching Materials Module (TLM25) assessment.

Currently, I am teaching English Language Skills (ELS) and English for Academic Purposes (EAP) at an internatioal college in Brighton. In 2007, I completed my CELTA in Chang Mia with International House. In 2010, I completed the DELTA course at Bellerbys College, Brighton. The learners that I encounter are in private education and are preparing for English speaking universities, through the completion of Foundation or A-level courses. IELTS is a crucial aspect of my students’ studies (of which I am also a practicing examiner). In the previous semester I completed my module in Technology and Language Teaching. This has driven my curiosity and interest in the theories, pedagogy and practices that technology affords the world of English Language Teaching (for learners, teachers and other stakeholders).
Generally, speaking my theories and practice are aligned with a sociocultural perspective of language learning. The idea of using language for real-life communicative purpose is what informs my teaching and (amateur) material design. This module will, I hope, go some way to improving my production of materials and my evaluative skills of other materials for adaption in my classes.
10390154_10154248971690534_4922939005902124658_n