When I was set the task of creating a portfolio it took me a while to initially come up with an idea. In previous projects I have always been very passionate about doing something that has meaning and that could potentially make a change. I thought of a variety of ideas such as climate change or body image which are two very current issues. However, I then contemplated creating something that either related to my life or where I lived.

Since starting university Brighton has become very important to me as it is my second home and when I first moved I noticed a lot of homelessness all around and especially in the centre which is what inspired my project idea. During this project I have not only allowed others to gain an insight into the issue but have learnt a lot about it myself. Inspiration from photographers such as Richard Sandler and Mark Power have given me knowledge of how to make an image powerful and how to reflect emotion. Furthermore, academic sources have enabled me to turn my images into a research project, see the psychological influence and gain an understanding of photography on a deeper level. As well as doing my own personal research by looking at a variety of articles and videos.

Throughout the project I have tried a variety of ways in which I could develop my images whether that is using specific camera techniques such as shutter speed or depth of field. Also using editing tools to change the sharpness or exposure of the photographs to make them more striking. I know that web presence is very important as it gives you as a photographer a platform to brain storm ideas and share your journey of getting to your finished images. It also allows feedback from peers that can help take your project further.

In conclusion I have not only given others an insight to homelessness in Brighton but learnt a lot myself,  I feel I have achieved my project objectives and have done so in an ethical manner. I have tried to give the homeless the respect and recognition they deserve and have built huge empathy for these strong people, in which I hope other individuals can gain from my project.