Our second interview with the student from Taiwan, she has been here for nearly four months.

Q1: Where are you studying now?

A: I’m studying at British Study Centre Brighton now, but I had been studying in Manchester     before I came to Brighton.

Q: Why do you change the place for studying?

A: Without no specific reasons, I just want to experience the study and life in different cities.

Q: What the difference between these two language centres?

A: Each teacher has his or her own teaching style, the two centres belong to the same company which is a mid-size chain Study Centre, they use the same teaching materials.

Q: Where do the students mainly come from in your class?

A: Most of them are from Europe, and I’m the only one student who from China in my class.

Q: Why are so many European students here to join the language course since most of them can speak English?

A: They can speak English but not quite influence, because it’s not their L1, for them it’s also might be the second or the third language just like us.

Q: Why are you here to have this course?

A: I’ve graduated from university since two years ago in Taiwan. And I’m not quite satisfied with my current job, I’d like to work for a foreign trade corporation in the future. That’s the main reason why I came here to study English. Apart from this I’m a big fan of traveling. So I can visit many attractions to get well-known about this country when I’m available.

Q: What have you improved most from the course? Do you think it’s going well as you  expected?

A: Listening and speaking. Classes are divided on the first day from level A1 to level C1, then we’ll be allocated to different class with different levels. Usually we’ll have an exam to test the whole week learning every week, we’ll not always in the same class, we’ll might be upgraded or demoted according to the grades you’ve got and your performance during the class.

Q: I’d like to know in you oral English class how do teachers give lesson to you?

A: We’ll have the handouts with different themes each time then have a group conversation. Sometimes the teacher would look around and see what we were talking about, and offered some help if it’s necessary

Q: Will you get a certificate at the end of the course or something else?

A: There will be a certificate of the absence and your English level after studying. It’s just a certificate from the school.

6 thoughts on “Our second interview with the student from Taiwan, she has been here for nearly four months.

1. This is an interesting interview with a typical learner of English as a foreign language here in Brighton. Most of the foreign young people you meet here will be doing similar courses to this student so it’s good to meet other non UK people in different contexts to your own and to compare your experiences. I think it’s interesting that there are mainly Europeans on the course!
    Theresa